X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GuitarDoc
    replied
    Originally posted by VinceT View Post
    90% of the time on those pickups was spent in P90 mode, with the remainder Parallel (which kinda-sorta got towards PAF-ish tones). Series was too dark and sludgy, rail-only too thin.
    That's why I put an A8 next to the rail coil...to beef it up a bit.

Leave a comment:

• VinceT
    replied
    I had PRails and Triple Shots in my 335 for a long time, tried both orientations on both pickups, and eventually landed on the “as designed” rails-in configuration for both.

The reason for this was simple: 90% of the time on those pickups was spent in P90 mode, with the remainder Parallel (which kinda-sorta got towards PAF-ish tones). Series was too dark and sludgy, rail-only too thin.

I’d always thought of PRails as a P90 with benefits, so I was happy with them in that context - though eventually went back to PAF style HBs for that particular guitar.

Interesting little coda, though - I flipped a Music Man SUB1 guitar earlier this year - restored and cleaned, upgraded some parts, etc. puts those PRails in that guitar and it truly came alive - so much so that I almost kept it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Thanks guys. 500k's is what I ordered.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarDoc
    replied
    Definitely 500k pots.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    500k for me as well

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    TBX sounds cool. I have one laying around here somewhere, but both my tone controls will be PP's for this specific wiring scheme.

Leave a comment:

• htwheelz67
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I'll probably put these in the standard way to start with. Then I can always rotate them as I get a feel for them.

Are you all using 250k or 500k pots? (Or, something else?)
    At least in strats and Teles I seem to get the best tone with 500k volume and a tbx tone control all the way up especially in series mode.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Cool. Thanks. I'm just getting ready to order a couple of those new style CTS push-pulls for this project.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    I used 500k, since that was what was in the guitar, and none of the literature or stuff I read about them suggested otherwise. Worked well for me.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    I'll probably put these in the standard way to start with. Then I can always rotate them as I get a feel for them.

Are you all using 250k or 500k pots? (Or, something else?)

Leave a comment:

• GuitarDoc
    replied
    I'm all about versatility with P-Rails (isn't that why it was designed?). In the bridge I like the Rail coil in the P-Rail to be closest to the bridge mainly for greater variety of tone. I found that with the P-90 coil toward the bridge it made the Rail coil sound fatter and more like the P-90 coil. With the Rail coil toward the bridge there is a definite difference in the tone of the two coils. Unfortunately, that made the rail a bit anemic so it helped to beef it up with an A8 mag (next to the rail coil, of course). Now that I know about the availability of A9, I think that it would probably be a better choice.

Leave a comment:

• zionstrat
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I'll take that on advisement.

In my new wiring scheme . . . they'll never be used in series. Not even parallel, for that matter. Quasi, sorta, kinda.
    Very curious! Looking forward to further details.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    I'll take that on advisement.

In my new wiring scheme . . . they'll never be used in series. Not even parallel, for that matter. Quasi, sorta, kinda.

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied
    Both rails toward the neck for me.

Puts the darker toned coil more toward the bridge, and vise versa.

I use two of the lower output models. They are already bordering on being too hot when used as series humbuckers. Any more would be too much IMO.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Thanks Jeremy. I'm going to try to get these installed before the week is over. I've got a cool and interesting wiring scheme that is unique.

Film@11.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X