banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best upgrade to get more positions from a 3-way guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best upgrade to get more positions from a 3-way guitar?

My new guitar has a volume and a 3-way. I want to get more positions out of it. At a minimum coil split of both humbuckers, but it would be nice to have multipole functionality so I can test parallel and out of phase. No drilling.

1) Add a push/pull volume to split both humbuckes, giving the guitar six sounds. afaik a DPDT push/pull will only enable coil split of the humbuckers. If it could do parallel of the HBs, that would be amazing.

2) Add a rotary five way switch to replace the 3-way.
    https://reverb.com/item/17784067-5-w...f9PPqc2AoZBlY0

3) The stewmac six-way toggle (expensive)
    https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/...RoCsKwQAvD_BwE

I think the rotary selector would be easiest, BUT Ive never played a guitar with a rotary selector and wonder if it is a PITA to deal with.

Are there any other clever solutions?
    Last edited by Top-L; 08-10-2020, 06:23 AM.

What is the pickup configuration (HH?) and switch layout? (Toggle, blade). how many pots currently?

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

2x HB, 1x vol, 1x 3way toggle.

Check out this six-way toggle. $40. Might be worth it.
      https://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-0...aydiagrams.pdf

Comment

With that layout I’d look into the Freeway Switch and then maybe use the push/pull for phase. I think the Freeway will get you:
        -neck/neck & bridge/bridge
        -neck/neck & bridge/bridge (split for each)
        -out of phase for middle selections
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Check out the : HH Phase & Single Coils 2V/2T . That looks the most useful to me.

https://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-0...aydiagrams.pdf

Only problem I will have to drill out hole to make it bigger.

Comment

I like HH Coil Split 2V2T, then add a separate phase.

Just a single volume, right?
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Rotary switches offer a lot of flexibility and versatility. But they're very subjective. You almost need to install one to see if you really like it.

Here's one of my most egregious projects. It didn't last long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackmore-Plus.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	6008416

The bottom three knobs are rotary's. DP4T, DP4T, 3P3T, respectively. Can't remember what they did, but it was fun for awhile. (That's two tapped QP's, and a Lil 59.)

Comment

If you want all those options with only one pot and not wanting to drill any holes, I'd suggest Triple Shot mounting rings for the pups. That would allow you to get series, parallel, split to screw coil, and split to slug coil for each pup. Then you could use a push/pull vol pot to switch to out of phase. I've got MANY guitar with TS rings and find them exceptionally easy to use and very reliable once installed (it's a delicate procedure to install them, but if you're careful they are super effective).

A rotating switch is difficult to use. I've had several guitars with them and find that it's not only hard to work, but easy to get the wrong position on the fly while playing.

The Free-Way switch is very expensive and I've heard lots of complaints about difficulty to get it in the right position and about its reliability.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I think the normal 3 way with an S1 switch to split both coils is a great setup, and probably my preferred one. You can get lots of sounds out of that.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I think the normal 3 way with an S1 switch to split both coils is a great setup, and probably my preferred one. You can get lots of sounds out of that.
                    I love the S1 switch, what a useful option to have.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I didn't know the S1 was a thing. It looks like a variation on the push/pull except with a central button.

If I have too much free time, I could do a six-way toggle with a push pull for 12 sounds.

Comment

The S1 works better than any push/pull I've ever used- super easy to use quickly, and it is basically invisible.

Comment

The S1 works better than any push/pull I've ever used- super easy to use quickly, and it is basically invisible.
                          But you have to use it with a plastic fender style knob? Guitar has metal knob and I want it to keep that look.

I'll just get a push/pull pot, that way I don't have to drill out the hole.

Comment

They make one for a Tele knob, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              Rotary switches offer a lot of flexibility and versatility. But they're very subjective. You almost need to install one to see if you really like it.

Here's one of my most egregious projects. It didn't last long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackmore-Plus.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	6008416

The bottom three knobs are rotary's. DP4T, DP4T, 3P3T, respectively. Can't remember what they did, but it was fun for awhile. (That's two tapped QP's, and a Lil 59.)
                              I like how the saddle material follows a similar color scheme as the pickups, looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              >Matt

http://www.soundcloud.com/mattherman
                              http://www.soundcloud.com/stormdoor
                              http://www.soundcloud.com/disonova

Comment

Working...
                              X