Wat mags should I put in my Fralins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wat mags should I put in my Fralins?

For jazz. What hybrid double thick mags should I put in my Fralins for a fat jazz tone. Meaning stick 2 different alnicos together in each humbucker. I'll be using flatwounds. Wanna choose from smooth A2, 3, (uo)5, or 6. It's the Pure PAF set and they will be going in the neck and the middle.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 08-11-2020, 03:59 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Call Lindy and ask him - that's part of why you spend the extra $ for Fralins. He still answers his own phone. Tell him what you want it to sound like!
    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Hehe. He'll be like 'You can't do that!' Lol. Love the guy, but I've talked with him before about a custom pup and he was very traditional. I wanna get some creative input from you guys.
      I bought them for you

Comment

I am in Lindy's camp. 'You can't do that!' JK...they're your pickups. Have fun!
        “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Haha
          I bought them for you

Comment

For a warm, clean, round, almost acoustic tone from a paf style neck humbucker I like roughcast alnico 3 better than anything.

That would probably sound nice in the middle too.

Roughcast alnico 2 is stronger and that's what I like in the bridge pickup.

I use the neck pickup for my clean tone and if I want a little more overdriven tone I switch to alnico 2 bridge pickup.

They sound great combined too.

Can't help you on the double thick magnet thing. Never done that or felt the need to.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              Hehe. He'll be like 'You can't do that!' Lol. Love the guy, but I've talked with him before about a custom pup and he was very traditional. I wanna get some creative input from you guys.
              Why not tell him the tone you are after and let him decide. He’s an experienced pickup maker.

What are you expecting from a thicker magnet? A brighter tone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the pups right here haha. They're metering 8.02k and 8.15k. Gonna be sweet! That's actually what I thought before I first tried double thick mags - that they'd be more aggressive. It's actually the opposite, they provide more output, but they're deeper and fatter. They sound epic for jazz. Plus hybridizing 2 magz into 1 double thickness mag is insane! The result is this homogeneous, wooly blend of the 2 parent mags, again, perfect for jazz! I have A2/A5 in the neck and A2/A3 in the middle on a 59 set on my flatwound jazz ax and it's terrif.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pure PAF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	6008860
                Last edited by Clint 55; 08-11-2020, 06:28 PM.
                I bought them for you

Comment

you are literally the only person i know doing this, so how can we give you objective, informed opinions? pick two and give it a try, then let us know how ya made out

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                    For a warm, clean, round, almost acoustic tone from a paf style neck humbucker I like roughcast alnico 3 better than anything.

That would probably sound nice in the middle too.

Roughcast alnico 2 is stronger and that's what I like in the bridge pickup.

I use the neck pickup for my clean tone and if I want a little more overdriven tone I switch to alnico 2 bridge pickup.

They sound great combined too.
                    Just want to clarify that Alnico 3 neck humbucker and Alnico 2 bridge humbucker is NOT the only way I do it. That's for when I want an almost acoustic sound from my neck pickup.

I have other guitars with A2 in both pickups, A4 in both pickups, and A2 in the neck and A4 in the bridge.

Those guitars get better overdriven sounds from the neck pickup than my guitar with A3 in the neck pickup.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      you are literally the only person i know doing this, so how can we give you objective, informed opinions? pick two and give it a try, then let us know how ya made out
                      Ok I just posted cuz usually when someone asks for suggestions about something there are like 20 answers, informed or not.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

fair enough, i try not to be that guy although it still happens

Comment

Haa
                          I bought them for you

Comment

A2/A5 is a great combination; I have those together in a P90. For jazz, I might lean towards A4/A5 in the neck. Smoother mids than A2, and tighter - a more defined ending to the note when you stop.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                            X