banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me choose which of these rando pickups to put in my BC Rich Acrylc Warlox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me choose which of these rando pickups to put in my BC Rich Acrylc Warlox

Hi everyone!

First off, I hope y'all are well during these strange and difficult times.

I have been whiling away my pandemic hours by engaging with various musical projects, and have finally gotten around to the acrylic Warlox I picked up on Craigslist several years ago. For reference, here's a picture:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Acrylic Warlox.png
Views:	211
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	6009019
    I know the opinions on these run a pretty wide spectrum, in the sense that many (perhaps most) people are of the opinion that acrylic guitars are unplayable trash, and then there a handful of people on the exact opposite side who swear by their Dan Armstrongs or whatever. I don't have any particular feelings about this thing, other than
    1) it's insanely heavy
    2) it looks sweet
    3) it sounds pretty uninspiring
    4) I am inanely philosophically opposed to stock pickups

Since I have all this free time, I figured I'd dig through my box of rando pickups to see if I could swap out the bridge pickup on this thing for something that would make it sound a bit better. For reference, I play rock music. Mostly more on the pop-punk end of things, although I have been recording a butt rock album recently.

Anyways, in my box of rando pickups I currently have a JB, an 80s Full Shred, and a Pearly Gates that are sitting around unloved. I've never been much good at translating technical descriptions into mental auditory images, so reading descriptions of the sonic qualities of these pickups hasn't really helped me determine which (if any) of them might be a good fit for this guitar.

I am hoping for some guidance from anyone who might have experience or greater amounts of knowledge about possible preferable pickups for acrylic guitars.

Again, I have a JB, a Full Shred, and a Pearly Gates chillin'. Since I don't have any plans to do much with this guitar (it weighs like 20 pounds, y'all), I'm not interested in buying anything for it unless it's like $20. Oh, also for reference, this will be played through some high-gain tube halfstack (main rig is a 5150, but I also have a Marshall JCMTSL and a Triple Rec.)

Thanks for any advice that any of y'all may have to offer! Stay well!

cheers,
    ->Mr. P

I'd try the Full Shred in that. Just because.

Comment

that screams jb to me

Comment

That screams . . . install some LED's under the pups so that baby lights up.

Comment

@ ArtieToo If you have a link to easily installable LED kits that you would suggest, please feel free to share them!

Comment

I don't. It would be 100% DIY. Sorry.

Comment

Full Shred
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                that screams jb to me
                I was going to echo the Full Shred, until I thought about how bright my acrylic strat is.
                JB will still be bright, but it will bring some mids. Full Shred could just be painful.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Agreed, start with the JB. If the stock bridge pickup uses a ceramic mag, you might consider mag-swapping the JB and/or Full Shred for some additional flavors.

Comment

1 vote for the JB with a PG in the neck. Covers a lot of stuff, but mostly it rocks.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Nothing to contribute but this: i hate BC Rich guitars but that thing Is AWESONE! Now I want an acrylic guitar...

Comment

Beats my strat. It's the one trying to hide off frame to your left.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

That's cool too, but OP has an acrylic NECK! I have never seen that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                            That's cool too, but OP has an acrylic NECK! I have never seen that before.
                            Nice catch. I didn't notice that either. Now, I want one too.

Comment

Seems a real shame to have a pearly gates laying around unloved.. but i gotta vote +1 for the full shred.

Comment

Working...
                              X