No announcement yet.

Has anyone mag-swapped a 59 Hybrid pup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone mag-swapped a 59 Hybrid pup?

I was thinking that an A2 would make it close to a Custom Custom / A II Pro. Might be sweet. Also, which coil is the Custom and which is the 59?

Thanks all.

Slug coil is a Custom, screw coil is from a '59.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks Dave. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

Comment

I want to know what an A2 pickup sounds like in there. My Hybrid has double screws with a roughcast A5.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like the hybrid with its standard A5 mag ok, but I like the more smooth tone with an A2 much better. When it is split (usually to the Custom coil) it obviously sounds like a split Custom Custom. My favorite C/59 is with an A8 magnet. That gives is the smooth character of the A2 mag but with more oomph and a more solid bass. And when split it is like the C8 (one of my favorite bridge pups) split.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Slug coil is a Custom, screw coil is from a '59.
            Slug is North, so to combine the Slug Custom coil with a middle single and get hum canceling, you’d want a standard style Duncan Strat in the middle? (South, Non-RWRP)

Do I have that right?
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I need to do this experiment again. I have it in the back of my mind that if you do an HS guitar, you want the neck to be RWRP. But it's been awhile since I've done that. I believe that an HSS Strat splits the 'bucker to the RWRP middle just fine.

Comment

i have an A2 59/C hybrid and it sounds incredible. Never tried the A5 model to compare it to though
                Quality riffs in about a minute...
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Cool. Thanks. Yet another thing I want to try.

Comment

UOA5

Comment

Have always thought that a pair of ‘59/C Hybrids with ceramic or A8 in the bridge and A2 or A3 in the neck would be a good set.

Worth pointing out from time to time that the factory’59/C Hybrid is better thought of as a ‘59/C5 Hybrid.

I have a PGn and C5 that I plan on turning into a set of hybrids. Not sure if they’ll go in a Les Paul Special or a 335 copy. Had an internal debate about C or C5 for the Custom. Choose the C5, but the debate continues!
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-15-2020, 11:56 AM.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        UOA5
                        I tried to like UOA5. Tried it in a 59B and a bridge model Antiquity.

But a roughcast alnico 5 seemed to respond to the way I pick better. Easier to get pinch harmonics on the treble strings and burning rubber flatulence on the lower strings.

Right now I don't have A5 in any of my humbuckers.

They're either roughcast A2 or A4. Or A2 neck and A4 bridge.

Or roughcast A3 neck for clean tones and A2 in the bridge pickup for solos.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I had A3 in my neck Seth/Ant hybrid in my Strat Paul but it was a bit too fat so I went to UOA5. Really like UOA5 in the neck for rock/bluez. It thins it out, keeps the top of A5 but adds some chewyness.
                          Last edited by Clint 55; 08-15-2020, 01:22 PM.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            I had A3 in my neck Seth/Ant hybrid in my Strat Paul but it was a bit too fat so I went to UOA5. Really like UOA5 in the neck for rock/bluez. It thins it out, keeps the top of A5 but adds some chewyness.
                            I love A3 in the neck but only for clean tones. It doesn't do overdrive as well as A2, A4 and A5.

So I put A3 in the neck and use A2 or A4 in the bridge.

I get my favorite clean tones from the neck pickup and my overdriven British Blues tones from the bridge pickup.

They sound nice when I combine the two pickups too.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Well, if I can ever get caught up, I've got some mag swapping to do. It's one of the few things I haven't done much of.

Comment

Working...
                              X