2-humbuckers and a 5-way switch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-humbuckers and a 5-way switch.

I was thinking about wiring my new Ibanez RGT-42 with a 3-way and a push/pull volume to switch between single-coil and humbucker mode for the neck EMG-89. My switch supplier is out of stock and the only switch I have is a standard 5-way. Can I wire the 5-way to do bridge humbucker/bridge+neck/neck single-coil/neck humbucker? Or would that require a super-switch? There aren't a lot of good diagrams for the dual-mode EMGs that use switches instead of push/pull pots.

Generally, you can do:
    Neck Full
    Neck Full / Bridge
    Bridge
    Neck Single / Bridge
    Neck Single

The EMG 89 is different than typical, if you are using master volume/master tone it might be doable by using the other side of the switch. Need to think...

the more I think, I’m not sure it’s possible. You need to switch the input and output of the two coils, and you’ve only got one side free on the 5 way.
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 08-16-2020, 08:27 AM.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm studying their diagram too. They show how to do it with their connectors, but it's not clear what is actually happening wire-wise. But we'll figure it out.

Comment

Artie, here is the schematic of the 89/81TW. It’s 3 coils and two preamps. From a construction standpoint, there are two side by side coils for Humbucker mode and a third coil underneath one of the coils used for stacked single coil mode. It looks like there are two discrete preamps tied to a single coil, then you switch the grounded third coil into the circuit and switch the output as well.

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Ah, nice. I didn't see that diagram. That gives us something to work with. Thanks.

Comment

So, conceptually, on the pickup selector side, the output goes to Volume, and the three lugs are 89 White, Bridge, 89 Green. On the second side, the common lug is 89 Orange, and the lugs are 89 Yellow, no connectuon, 89 Blue.

I think that would get the layout I posted above.

You could probably swap around positions and get:
            Bridge
            Bridge / Neck HB
            Neck HB
            (Something odd with the Neck)
            Neck Single
            Last edited by PFDarkside; 08-16-2020, 09:47 AM.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Supposedly this is how you would wire it if you didn't want to use the single coil option https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru....php?t=1686376

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                So, conceptually, on the pickup selector side, the output goes to Volume, and the three lugs are 89 White, Bridge, 89 Green. On the second side, the common lug is 89 Orange, and the lugs are 89 Yellow, no connectuon, 89 Blue.

I think that would get the layout I posted above.

You could probably swap around positions and get:
                Bridge
                Bridge / Neck HB
                Neck HB
                (Something odd with the Neck)
                Neck Single
                So you think it's wired like this?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	new.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	6010100

Comment

The Common lugs are on opposite sides of a 5 way.

Artie, got an opinion?
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Always.

Got caught up in other things. I'll look at this again tomorrow.

Comment

Well, I guess I’d give it a go. (Just make sure to get the Common terminals correct.)

Also, I read that in an 89 you can use both the Single and Humbucker at the same time (two separate preamps as seen above) so the alternate layout would work.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I heard back from EMG that's there's no way to do the wiring I want with a 5-way switch. So I have some push/pulls coming soon. I figure I will wire it using this diagram.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by idsnowdog; 08-29-2020, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I got the push/pull pot today in the mail after a two-week wait from China. The combination of the GFS Redactive and EMG-89 is almost perfect. The QTA gives the neck a nice boost.

Comment

Great, glad it’s working.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                            X