ESQUIRE WIRING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESQUIRE WIRING

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	6010661
    I am helping to “Esquire” a far eastern made telecaster type guitar. The headstock is blank but the heel plate tells me that it probably once said Stagg. Fret ends are excellent, pups are DMs and pots are CTS so it has had some attention in the past. 3 way is import type with only one com. Owner does not want the usual Fender Esquire type wiring with the bassy tone option but 1. Blower (direct to jack) 2.Vol only 3. Vol plus Tone. He is a competent guitarist who gigs (or did before lock down) with more than one outfit, so I am sure he knows what he wants. The guitar actually has a good Tele sound and I would personally keep as is. I never did understand the enthusiasm for the simplicity of the Esquire.

My 75 year old brain has deduced that the logical way to do the wiring is as per the schematic above But, I thought before getting out the soldering iron, I would check with the Gurus that there is not a better way of doing it. Please excuse my usual low standard of sketching,

Apologies if this has been a topic before. Nothing relevant came up when I searched
    Last edited by Gstring; 08-19-2020, 06:25 AM.

Check this out: https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...Esquire_Wiring
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Yeah. Your drawing won't work. Imagine your volume control all the way down. That shorts the output to ground regardless of your switch position.

Here's Seymours take: (Probably the same as Lew posted.)

Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-19-2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Yeah. Your drawing won't work. Imagine your volume control all the way down. That shorts the output to ground regardless of your switch position.

Here's Seymours take: (Probably the same as Lew posted.)

https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...q_Standard.jpg
        Not quite Artie. The Eldred Mod from the Fender Custom Shop offers a "cocked wah wah" setting instead of the awful and totally muffled third setting on a single pickup Esquire.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Not quite Artie. The Eldred Mod from the Fender Custom Shop offers a "cocked wah wah" setting instead of the awful and totally muffled third setting on a single pickup Esquire.
          Yeah. I read the article after I posted. I should have read it first.

But it looks like an interesting Esquire mod.

Comment

Artie and Lew . Thanks for the responses but I am not sure what the relevance of the refered to schematics is to my post. These appear to be Fender type wirings. I specifically stated in my post that this is not what was wanted. Or am I missing something?. Obviously neither of these seem to me to give the by pass option.

Artie, I presume you are saying that position 1 and position 2 are basicly the same as the volume pot will ground the signal as the output lug is always connected to the output socket and will therefore always be in the circuit. Obviously I will need to come up with a wiring that takes the vol pot completely out of the circuit or nulify it. As this would invovle "disconnecting" both the input and output sides of the vol pot I don't think that is doable on a standard 3 way. Do you think it would be possible to acheive something by somehow ungrounding the vol pot in that position.. Or am I just trying to do something that's just not possible. without using a push pull to make a blower? Also I am thinking that a 3 way with 2 coms might give more options.
            Last edited by Gstring; 08-19-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Let me chew on this for a moment. I think, to do the vol/no-vol, you need two "commons." In other words, a more standard 3-way. But, let me chew on it for a moment.

Comment

I looked on https://www.tdpri.com/ and it seems that some players there have wired Esquires to do what you are asking for.

No one I saw posted a diagram though.

I don't feel like searching but you might want to.

There's a thread there called something like "3rd position options for Esquire".

If you join the TDPRI you can send a message to one of the guys there who has done it.

I'm not a member and don't feel like joining.

But maybe you should.

Comment

Lew Guitar...Thanks for getting back. I had done quite a bit of research including the TDPRI forum.. I read the 3rd Option thread. There is a reference to the Custom Shop Esquire coming standard with the wiring I am trying to do,but,as you say.No schematic. I wonder if the CS Esquire had some form of 3 way super switch whch would make things much easier.

Artie Thanks for giving this your valuable time. I have done quite abit of scribbling based on a 2 comm switch 3way but don't think its doable. You can get bypass and Vol only in a couple of ways but getting the tone pot in is difficult because of bridging wires between terminals means you only really get effectively 2 positions. Not sure if I am making myself clear. However it would be good to hear its a non starter from the Master Guru. Have also been thinking of what might be possible with a 5 way switch but have a way to go yet.
                  Last edited by Gstring; 08-19-2020, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I'd have to try a bunch of different wiring schemes in an Esquire to see what I'd like. I don't generally care about tradition, so I am sure I'd come up with something off-the-wall, but it might make sense to me.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Artie,have been thinking about how a pot works. As there is no continuity between the "outside" lugs, surely disconnecting the central wiper lug instead of the "imput" will solve the problem of grounding the signal in position No 1.

See amended diagram. I don't think the mandatory 50s wiring will be an issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 3.jpg
Views:	1280
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	6010858

Comment

I don't like 50's wiring on Fender guitars and they weren't wired that way. Too bright. Rolling down the volume and having the treble soften a bit is a must for me when I'm playing rhythm on my Fenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Gstring View Post
                          See amended diagram. I don't think the mandatory 50s wiring will be an issue.
                          That looks like it should work. The pup will always see the load of the pot, but that shouldn't hurt anything.

Comment

Don't disagree with you Lew . I have 50s wiring on most of my HB guitars. ...On 2 vols and 1 tone you don't get an option. But my "Strat" ( it actually says says FRET KING on the headstock which is a cool brand here in the UK) is modern. However the reason I don't think it will be an issue here (assuming my latest schematic gets Artie's blessing) is that this guitar will be mainly gigged thru a big valve amp with pedals and computerised effects. The subtleties of the tone control sometimes get a little lost in those circumstances and I wonder if you even need any tone control.

Ok since writing I seem to have the blessing.
                            Last edited by Gstring; 08-20-2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Artie. Thanks for the blessing. Appreciate you pointing out the Gremlin in my initial effort which enabled me, after a lot of head scratching, to correct it.

Comment

Working...
                              X