Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Hot Rails + Lollar Blackface

Hi all,

I am currently building my own SSS guitar and want to combine the SD Hot Rails (bridge) with Lollar Blackface on Mid and Neck position. From a pure sound perspective, this seems like the ultimate combination for my style

However, I'm still quite unsure about some details:
    • 250k vs 500k Potis? I care mostly about a solid combination of heavy sound on the bridge and Strat-like neck/middle tones. Small volume differences won't be a huge problem.
    • Which capacitators shall I get to best account for the above?
    Thanks so much!

Alex

The Hot Rails was designed to drop right into a Strat with no modifications and still sound 'right', so use the same setup as in any Strat. 250k all around, and depending what you want from a tone control (and how you want to wire it) either common cap value.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Mincer, thanks so much for the help. I really want to apply a very standard SSS Setup 5-way Switch. I guess getting common .47 caps should be fine, no?

Comment

Originally posted by alexreinhold View Post
        Mincer, thanks so much for the help. I really want to apply a very standard SSS Setup 5-way Switch. I guess getting common .47 caps should be fine, no?
        I'd start there. It will probably be fine for you. But you can always alter the cap value if you don't like it.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You may need to swap leads on the hot rails or Blackface as well. (Might be out of phase with each other) Fender and Duncan are naturally out of phase, it wouldn’t surprise me if Lollar followed Fender.

When you buy caps get a .022 as well. I’ve found that is my sweet spot for singles and Humbuckers.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

PFDarkside, thanks a lot. Will definitely get 47 and 22 and try both. My question is - what do you mean by leads (sorry, I'm fairly new to the game)?

Comment

I guess getting common .47 caps should be fine, no?
              Actually, it's .047 uf. That zero is important. But as PFD said, .022 is a nicer value for a lot of people. It's what I use.

Comment

I dropped my Hotrails in my Tele and was good to go. No modifications needed what so ever.

Comment

PFDarkside, thanks a lot. Will definitely get 47 and 22 and try both. My question is - what do you mean by leads (sorry, I'm fairly new to the game)?
                  When you wire it all up, the position with Hot Rails and Blackface combined (position 2) may be out of phase (thin and weak). If so, swap hot (Black) and ground (green) on your hotrails, keeping the braided shield grounded.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

ah, that's really great advice PFD. Thanks so much! ArtieToo also thanks for the correction - still a newbie

Comment

PFDarkside I have a quick follow-up question. I'm planning to do the Jimmy Vaughan Strat Mod (i.e. no tone knob for middle but for bridge instead). Will this be seamlessly possible with a hot rails in the bridge given that it's actually a humbucker?

Comment

PFDarkside I have a quick follow-up question. I'm planning to do the Jimmy Vaughan Strat Mod (i.e. no tone knob for middle but for bridge instead). Will this be seamlessly possible with a hot rails in the bridge given that it's actually a humbucker?
                        Yes, no issues doing that. I’ve wired a few of my Strats that way too.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

sweet, thanks! Items are ready to order then

Comment

actually, PFDarkside do you by any chance have a Jimmie Vaughan + Hot Rails mod diagram lying around? I downloaded both the SD standard and the Fender Jimmie Vaughan once but given my lack of experience, I don't really know how to combine them.

Comment

I've been studying these diagrams.

JV Standard Set Up:
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	JV Wiring.png Views:	0 Size:	159.3 KB ID:	6011541

SD Hot Rails + Single Coil Standard Setup:
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	SD Wiring.png Views:	0 Size:	139.3 KB ID:	6011542

Comment

Working...
                              X