Perpetual Burn / Whole Lotta Humbucker Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perpetual Burn / Whole Lotta Humbucker Combo

Now that I know I've landed the gig in the Journey Tribute band, I need to retool my Warmoth Strat that currently has the Perpetual Burn in the bridge with a push/pull pot to split, and that's it. I'll be using my Les Paul on stuff but also need to have another guitar configured similarly with splitting and such. So, I ordered a Whole Lotta Humbucker neck pickup, another pickguard (also Black Pearl) and electronics, including a super switch so I can get it wired the way I want it.

So, has anyone used the WLH split at all? How does it sound?

The plan is to wire it as 2 humbucker combo #3 as seen here: https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-id...tructions.html

Congratulations on getting the gig. I bet the WLH will split pretty well for light & clean parts.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks. That's pretty much the only time I'd need it split, like for Stay A While, Who's Cryin' Now and others likes those. Quite surprisingly, I've noticed Neal likes the full on humbucker sound more often than not and rolls the volume back. But, since the Les Paul Trad Pro has push/pull pots, I figured it made sense to set the Strat up similarly in that area.

Comment

I made a neck hybrid that splits to the WLH coil and it sounds great. Let us know how your guitar turns out. I like the choice of pickups. That's the kind of thing I tend to go for for rock also. Nice goin on getting the gig. Should be super fun and also good for your playing.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Thanks. I’m pretty stoked about it. Love the singing leads Neal plays. A great player. I know he likes the ‘57 Classic in the neck, or Fast Track with the sustainer, and a Custom Custom in the bridge. He used the Norton in the past too. My LP has a ‘57 Classic in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge.

I will definitely be sharing my thoughts on it once it’s all wired up. The only place I could find a zebra WLH was from SD directly. I don’t have Reverb or eBay anymore.
          Last edited by ErikH; 08-31-2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Update:

The new pickguard arrived in Saturday and I was able to get the WLH neck wired in with the Perpetual Burn, 5-way superswitch, volume and tone.

The switch is wired as follows:
            1. Bridge series
            2. Bridge split to stud coil
            3. Bridge series and Neck series
            4. Neck split to screw coil
            5. Neck series

Volume is 500K. Tone is 250K w/a .022uf orange drop cap and wired to the bridge pickup only.

First impression of the WLH neck - Why did I not get one of these sooner? What an excellent pickup. Very clear and articulate, full sounding, doesn't mud up, and for a PAF like this, splits amazingly well. When split to the screw coil (closer to the neck), it's very glassy and clear like a good vintage Strat pickup. That blew me away.

The PB I've been running alone for a long time in this guitar with a single push/pull volume control. I can tell off the bat that adding the 250K tone control has warmed it up some even with it on 10. Not a lot, but enough that it sounds slightly warmer, and that's OK. The PB is such a great pickup too.

This is a really nice combo and gives me what I was wanting to get out of this guitar for this gig. Now I have two guitars that give me all the variations I need without getting too complicated. I might wire up my old Frankenstrat (Franky) with a 5-way superswitch. It has 2 Screamin' Demons in it.

Comment

Oh man. You're trying to cost me money. I've got a PB in a single 'bucker guitar, that I love. But I've also got a dual humbucker guitar sitting here empty. Now I want to try what you did.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_97824.jpg Views:	5 Size:	83.6 KB ID:	6013389Click image for larger version  Name:	image_97821.jpg Views:	5 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	6013383
                Last edited by ErikH; 08-31-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Gorgeous. That pickguard goes perfect with that color.

Comment

Thanks. The single pickup pickguard the PB was in is the same color.

Had I gone with a Jazz in the neck, I'd have a PB&J setup. LOL

Comment

Cute. And darn . . . my dual-humbucker guitars are all toggle switches. I don't think I have one that uses a blade switch. I'll have to check the catacombs.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                        Click image for larger version Name:	image_97824.jpg Views:	5 Size:	83.6 KB ID:	6013389Click image for larger version Name:	image_97821.jpg Views:	5 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	6013383
                        This is a color scheme I absolutely love, but would never have come up with on my own.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

This is a color scheme I absolutely love, but would never have come up with on my own.
                          Thanks. The body and neck are both from the Warmoth Showcase. Pickguard is from them as well. I fell in love with the color when I saw it. It had a normal maple neck on it at first but when I realized the nut was wider than I like on the Boatneck contour, I sold it and got the roasted maple. The feel is amazing. Strung it up with 9-46.

Comment

Working...
                          X