Ceramic JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic JB?

Tried JB with no tone control and it was.......almost. Anyone tried ceramic in it? What do you find? Looking to keep the squawky mids but add articulation in the pick attack.

Oh, I’m sure it sounds great. Probably pretty close to a Distortion if you’ve played one.

A8 is another option.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I just went down a very similar road.
      I tried a few pickup swaps, which I actually bought from you but ultimately weren’t right for this particular guitar.
      I eventually mag swapped an A8 into my JB and so far I love it. I actually bought a ceramic 8 mag to put in my JB but haven’t put it in as of yet. If the A8 doesn’t work at next band rehearsal I’ll try the ceramic.

There’s a YouTube video of a guy with a ceramic JB and it sounds massive.
      This guys guitar is obviously tuned down to something lower than standard but it’s a huge guitar sound he’s getting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        I tried a few pickup swaps, which I actually bought from you but ultimately weren’t right for this particular guitar.
        I eventually mag swapped an A8 into my JB and so far I love it. I actually bought a ceramic 8 mag to put in my JB but haven’t put it in as of yet. If the A8 doesn’t work at next band rehearsal I’ll try the ceramic.

This guys guitar is obviously tuned down to something lower than standard but it’s a huge guitar sound he’s getting.

https://youtu.be/8248BiOe51Y
        What did you find with A8 vs. A5? I'd expect basically darker high end and more power.

Comment

yes, definitely more power which I like and the high end is rounder and more subdued. It is still a "present" pickup though and retains all of what makes a JB so good. The single notes still sing and harmonics jump off of the fretboard. At some point i may try a ceramic in it but for now I'm happy with what I'm hearing.

Comment

Suhr Aldrich may actually be what you're looking for. A smaller ceramic in the JB gives it the ceramic rasp, but not the power of the Distortion. I didn't like it, personally.

Comment

Good to know.
              I wonder what a double thick ceramic would do?

Comment

Good to know.
                I wonder what a double thick ceramic would do?
                Make it a degaussed Distortion from the '80s.
                Last edited by eaeolian; 08-25-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eaeolian View Post

Make it a degaussed Distortion from the '80s.
                  yeah it would likely be really close to the hunter/dokkenbucker/dist lite. good sounding pickup, def has tons of pick articulation. fairly unforgiving pickup in that regard.
                  Quality riffs in about a minute...
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I think I'll try it. Don't need more power, I'm already backing it way off and raising the poles on the bridge coil so it's no louder than the firebird neck I have in the guitar in question. Really just looking for more articulation in the very high end and sounds like the single ceramic with no tone control might do it.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBarbeeMusic View Post
                      I think I'll try it. Don't need more power, I'm already backing it way off and raising the poles on the bridge coil so it's no louder than the firebird neck I have in the guitar in question. Really just looking for more articulation in the very high end and sounds like the single ceramic with no tone control might do it.
                      Be sure to report back on your thoughts on it.

Comment

https://youtu.be/8248BiOe51Y
                        That does sound pretty sick...could also be the Kemper talking!

Comment

I tried both A8 and double thick ceramic in my JB in my Schecter. Didn't like them. Wound up going with an RCUOA5. It's been there for going on 5 years now. I don't plan to change it.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

^ I'm back into UOs as well. Tried the A2/A8 hybrid and didn't really like it. I think I'm done with A8. A2, A3, A6, A5 and UOA5 are my favz. Now that I have double thick mags providing extra power, I don't need the synthetic sound from A8 or what have you. I have 3 A8 hybrids I can ship out for a few bucks if anyone wants them.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

I like A8 in the Alternative 8. I also tried one in an old Ibanez Powersound bridge pickup.
                              Killer.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X