Superswitch needed for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superswitch needed for this?

I want the middle position on a strat-style guitar (H-S-S) to activate the bridge and neck pickups- not the middle pickup.

Yup. 'Fraid so.

Comment

Is there a basic diagram for this configuration? Basically standard strat positions 1,2,4,5, but with position 3 being bridge + neck, instead of middle alone.

Comment

Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ericcomposer72.png
Views:	89
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	6011796

Comment

I think there might also be a Megaswitch E with this combination hard-wired in. No wait, after looking, it splits the H in combination with the neck, which is a great combo too.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks, guys- I just realized this is going to be more complicated than I expected:

1. I also wanted to use 500k tone pots, and use one tone pot for the bridge, the other for the middle/neck

2. There is also a three-way switch connected to the bridge (humbucker) for series/split/parallel

FWIW, the middle is a Hot Stack, and the neck is a Zexcoil (noiseless and has 2 leads like a standard single coil)

Comment

That's not really a problem. You have the lower-right quadrant of that Superswitch to handle the tone duties. And the bridge just connects first, to the 3-way switch. It then only has one "hot" wire that comes off of it that goes to the Superswitch where it's labeled "bridge." I'll revise that drawing in a little while to show the tone connections.

Comment

Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ericcomposer72-2.png
Views:	86
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	6011842

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  Like this:
                  Thank you!

Comment

Yer welcome.

Keep in mind, the bridge tone will only be independent while the bridge pup is selected by itself. In all other positions, both tones will be active. I could modify that so that the N/M tone acts as the "master" in the other positions.

In fact, to do that, simply move the "blue wire" connection from the upper-left terminal, down to the unused terminal in the lower-right. That's all. That's probably how I'd do it.
                    Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-24-2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      Yer welcome.

Keep in mind, the bridge tone will only be independent while the bridge pup is selected by itself. In all other positions, both tones will be active. I could modify that so that the N/M tone acts as the "master" in the other positions.

In fact, to do that, simply move the "blue wire" connection from the upper-left terminal, down to the unused terminal in the lower-right. That's all. That's probably how I'd do it.
                      Just to confirm- the way it is now, I would be able to change the bridge and middle tones independently in position 2, and the bridge and neck independently in position 3?

EDIT: After doing a little reading up on the super switch, it actually seems the middle/neck tone controls become additive to the bridge tone control in position 2 & 3, not independent?
                      Last edited by ericcomposer72; 08-24-2020, 11:16 AM.

Comment

If two or more pups are active, the tone controls mix. There's just no way to make them independent in a passive situation. The "hot" side of both tone controls will be electrically shorted together. In other words, you can't turn down the treble on the bridge, while keeping the others bright. The tone controls will be additive in all positions except "bridge only."

Comment

Working...
                        X