SSL-2 Bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL-2 Bridge?

The SSL-2 calibrated set information states the bridge pickup is wound slightly hotter. The Specs look like it is the same as the neck version and I can't find anyone who sells just the SSL-2 bridge. Is the SSL-2 bridge pickup really different than the neck, or are they literally the same pickup?

Where are you getting that, "The SSL-2 calibrated set information states the bridge pickup is wound slightly hotter?"

I have never head of an SSL-2 calibrated set. There is an SSL-2 set...but it isn't calibrated, and the Duncan specs on the Website state as much.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

ive heard of this mythical ssl2 bridge pup for years but never seen one or known anyone that actually had one. i would love to see a slightly hotter ssl2b with like 10-15% more turns

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        ive heard of this mythical ssl2 bridge pup for years but never seen one or known anyone that actually had one. i would love to see a slightly hotter ssl2b with like 10-15% more turns
        You'd probably love the DiMarzio Red Velvet. Hopped up Strat pickup (but not too much) – not flat, but with modern pole stagger.

I have three of these in my FSR Black Paisley Strat, and it cooks, but without having that overwound, thick, modern sound that too many hot Strat pickups have.
        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

honestly, i just wind myself something if i cant easily get it. but that does look like a cool pup, base plate and 8.5k. currently im running something like 5.8k neck, 6.4k, middle and 7.1k bridge in one strat. really like it

Comment

^ And the cool thing about a simple Fender style single coil is that you can just add windings without unwinding the whole thing and starting from scratch. There's usually enough room on the bobbin to fit plenty more wire under the cover, and all you need to do is splice the start of the new wire in.
            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              Where are you getting that, "The SSL-2 calibrated set information states the bridge pickup is wound slightly hotter?"

I have never head of an SSL-2 calibrated set. There is an SSL-2 set...but it isn't calibrated, and the Duncan specs on the Website state as much.

I'm seeing it here, unless I misunderstood and theyr're talking about the set with SSL-6. I see SSL-2 calibrated sets being sold several places, included several Reverb.com sellers..

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single...age-flat-strat

"If purchased as a calibrated set, the bridge pickup is wound slightly hotter for better overall balance between positions."

The Duncan website does mention later, that I noticed it may be referring to the neck and bridge being the same. But like I mentioned above, some reverb sellers are selling a SSL-2C calibrated set that claims the bridge pickups is wound a bit hotter. It all kinda confuses me. I do like the SSL-6 with the SSL-2's, but the '6 is a bit louder. If the "calibrated" set is just the SSL-2 neck that is in the bridge position, I'll oder one of them and see how it goes. If there is an SSL-2 bridge specific pickup, I'd like to get it because I already have the neck and RWRP middle.

Comment

They might say that in the description, but that mention of it is hardly what I would call "the SSL-2 calibrated set information." It's a brief mention, which you have to use your judgment to determine might be wrong, since they also specifically list the DCR of each pickup in the set as being 6.5 KOhm. And I have looked up a few retailers selling the set, including StewMac, and when they list the DCRs, they're always the same DCR for each pickup.

Personally, I think it's a mistake in the description, or a mistake in the specs. If the former, I think the sentence is supposed to say, "If purchased as a set, the middle pickup is RW/RP for hum canceling in positions 2 and 4." If it's a mistake in the specs, then their retailers also don't know about it, because they're advertising the DCRs as being the same pickup to pickup. And, all the SSL-2s are is flat poled SSL-1s, and unless you get the Surfers, there's no hot bridge in that set.

The best way to find out for sure would be to contact a retailer or seller and ask for DCR measurements from each pickup, or to buy a set and measure yourself. As far as just asking someone at Duncan, I would venture to guess that any two customer service people from within the company might give you two different answers. People don't know everything, but the measurements won't lie.
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-25-2020, 10:54 AM.
                Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                  ^ And the cool thing about a simple Fender style single coil is that you can just add windings without unwinding the whole thing and starting from scratch. There's usually enough room on the bobbin to fit plenty more wire under the cover, and all you need to do is splice the start of the new wire in.
                  very true. ive done it but unless im keeping that output as a tap and putting more wire on, i usually just start from scratch unless its a broken pup or something, if it works ill keep it for what it is.

Originally posted by DobieK View Post

I'm seeing it here, unless I misunderstood and theyr're talking about the set with SSL-6. I see SSL-2 calibrated sets being sold several places, included several Reverb.com sellers..

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single...age-flat-strat

"If purchased as a calibrated set, the bridge pickup is wound slightly hotter for better overall balance between positions."

The Duncan website does mention later, that I noticed it may be referring to the neck and bridge being the same. But like I mentioned above, some reverb sellers are selling a SSL-2C calibrated set that claims the bridge pickups is wound a bit hotter. It all kinda confuses me. I do like the SSL-6 with the SSL-2's, but the '6 is a bit louder. If the "calibrated" set is just the SSL-2 neck that is in the bridge position, I'll oder one of them and see how it goes. If there is an SSL-2 bridge specific pickup, I'd like to get it because I already have the neck and RWRP middle.
                  ive seen that text before but i have yet to actually see the hotter bridge model. pretty sure its a unicorn

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I tend to agree. SSL-6 is a little too loud compared to the neck and middle SSL-2, but I'm concerned the SSL-2 in the bridge may not be hot enough compared to the neck and middle. I'll tweak the SSL-6 and see how it goes and may just buy a non-RWRP SSL-2.

Comment

I would go for a Twang Banger instead, if you just want a slightly hotter bridge pickup, approaching Tele territory. Don't worry about the stagger; it'll still sound fine. The SSL5/6 take you into high output tone (no, I don't mean DC resistance) – not very Strat-like. That's fine if it's what you want, but it sounds like you want something just a little hotter than the others.

That said, have yo ever tried a non calibrated Strat set? They're great, IMO. They are out of favor these days, but they're my personal preference. I don't want meat from the bridge pickup on a Strat. I want thin and piercing, good for using OD.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-25-2020, 02:54 PM.
                      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I have yet to find the Strat sized bridge pickup I dream of.

I have N & M Antiquity Surfers in my two Strats.

One has a Duncan Custom Shop A2 Tele Hot (which they now call a '53 Tapped) and I continue to like that a lot.

The other has a Lindy Fralin Steel Pole 43. I like it but don't love it like I used to.

It uses that darn ceramic magnet that gives it a less than organic sound that's a bit drier sounding than the A2 Tele pickup in my other Strat.

I've tried the one Eric Johnson likes: Dimarzio HS-2 with just one coil connected but it didn't light my fire.

Tried the Twangbanger too. Didn't do it for me either.

So far, my fave is Custom Shop A2 53 Tapped Tele pickup MJ wound for me.

But it's a Tele size pickup and won't fit in a Strat that hasn't been modified for it.

Fits in my Strat because the knucklehead who owned it before me routed it out for a humbucker and left plenty of room.
                        Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-27-2020, 06:32 AM.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I haven't found a Strat bridge pickup I love, either. The closest is an early 80s Fender X-1, but I think my ears just moved away from a single coil sounds right now.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think part of the reason I haven't found a Strat bridge pickup I've ever really liked is because I'm primarily a humbucker player. SSL-6 is pretty darn close for me, but I can't get a good volume balance when I get the SSL-2's and SSL-6 set where they sound best to me. I've spent a LOT of time and money buying and adjusting pickups for Strats. Going to stick with the SSL-6 for now and maybe it will grow on me.

Comment

I'm primary an humbucker bridge pickup too, but I really like the SD STK-S7 (noiseless single-coil, good match with STK-S4 neck) and the Rose Buff Beauty (regular single-coil and good match with vintage single-coils). Those 2 pickups are what I had in my mind as a good Strat bridge pickup: just enough meat to balance with the neck and middle.

Comment

Working...
                              X