Absolutely done with Alnico 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    From my experience in the studio, ears get tired. Then something new always sounds 'better' ...for a while. Then ears get tired again, and something else sounds 'better.' Now I just take it as a journey, no absolutes, nothing is better, just different, and I'm enjoying what I like for now. Tomorrow may be different.
    I agree with this. There are only a few pickups I can handle for a very, very long time and they're often medium to low output pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      So, you're saying that you have a de-gaused polished A8 for sale or trade?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
      Yeah if like waiting for 3 months for postage from Australia along with the high postage prices sure...

Comment

I've never been enamored with them either. I tried one once in a Custom making it a Custom 8. I found it lacked definition, especially in the highs. I went back to my stock Custom.

Comment

What bothers me is that it seems to induce harmonics that fight with each other.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Hot pickups are fun to jam at home with, but I find them less useable playing live, for the music I like. I'd love to have a guitar loaded with a dirty fingers or super distortion to crank up and play with. They are more muscle than I would need if I was sitting in with a band, even though i dont gig.

My custom shop creation is badass but it's as hot as I wanna go. I do have a double thick A2 I cant wait to use in a lower wind pickup, like my jazz bridge or an old '59b. Itll be a 2nd guitar project though
            Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

I've never tried A8 in anything. My favorite is A2 but I also like A5 in some (Screamin' Demon, Perpetual Burn, P90's) and ceramic as well (Super Distortion). It's tough to beat a good A2 pickup though. The Custom Custom is probably my favorite there and am glad I'm using it again.

Even though this is a Seymour Duncan forum, I have to say that the Airbucker technology that DiMarzio uses with A5 pickups is a really cool thing. The way I hear it, and after using a few models with it, it brings out the best of A5 and A2 in the same pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                What bothers me is that it seems to induce harmonics that fight with each other.
                I think that that's what I like about it. Or maybe that it's as powerful as a C8 but with the Alnico flavor.

Comment

I've always wondered by A8 isn't used more widely tbh. Maybe many people do find it obnoxious after prolonged usage after all.
                  Originally posted by Myaccount876
                  Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I think that it works very well in the Alternative 8. I didn't like it as much in a JB. As with any magnet, you should design the rest of the pickup around it for best results.

Comment

Working...
                    X