Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose my JB / 59 wiring configuration

Hello,

I'm planning to install a JB and a 59 (4 conductor version) in my LTD EC-256.

The guitar has 3 pots:
    - 1 bridge volume with push-pull
    - 1 neck volume with push-pull
    - 1 concentric pot for bridge tone and neck tone (no possibility of push-pull)

I'm hesitating between two wiring options:

Option 1: 1 push-pull to split the bridge PU, 1 push-pull to split the neck PU.

Option 2: 1 push-pull to split both pickups, 1 push-pull to reverse the phase on the neck pickup.

Option 1 would allow me to split the pickups independently, so in the middle position I could use one pickup in SC mode and one pickup in full HB mode.
    Option 2 would give me the out-of-phase tone in the middle position, but wouldn't allow me to split the pickups independently.

So, specifically for the JB / 59 pickups, which is more important?
    Do the JB / 59 sound great together when one is in SC mode and the other is in full HB mode, or is this tone useless?
    Does the out-of-phase tone sound great with the JB / 59, or is that tone useless?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. My vote would be for option 2. I haven't found the single/humbucker thing to be that useful. But it's a personal thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      Welcome to the forum. My vote would be for option 2. I haven't found the single/humbucker thing to be that useful. But it's a personal thing.
      Artie, I haven't done this mod in so long I've forgotten the specifics. Can a humbucker be put in parallel with a single push pull switch?

If so, that's what I would opt for.

Use one switch for the neck pickup and the other for the bridge pickup.

It's a much better, fuller sounding "single coil like" tone than split and the pickup remains humbucking.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Yes. It can. http://duhvoodooman.com/musical/humb...lel_switch.gif

Comment

I would do option, 2, but instead of changing phase, I would use it to switch between parallel and series for neck.

Comment

I wouldn't do the out of phase thing electrically.

If were going to do it I'd flip the magnet of one pickup like Gibson does on a stereo ES-355.

Or like Peter Green did (perhaps accidentally) to his '59 Les Paul.

Sounds better.

Comment

I agree with everyone above. I'd parallel rather than phase. But again, it's a personal taste thing.

Comment

I like option 1. Phase isn't a sound that is used well often. Simplicity is generally what I go for, though.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would use option 1 to set neck as SC and back the volume for rythm or cleans then keep the bridge as a HB with volume crancked for high gain rhythm and leads.
                  Who took my guitar?

Comment

One 'bucker full and one split (your potential middle position with option 1) is one of my favorite sounds. I use it with both full bridge/split neck, and full neck/split bridge. I personally love it for high-gain, liquidy lead tones.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      I agree with everyone above. I'd parallel rather than phase. But again, it's a personal taste thing.
                      I had a two humbucker Strat and installed a PG neck and JB bridge.

I installed two 3 position mini-switches. One for each pickup.

I could get single coil, parallel or series from each pickup.

Rarely used the single coil option.

Parallel sounded more like a good single coil than the actual single coil option, and was still humbucking.

The single coil option sounded thin and plinky to me compared to a real Strat single coil.

The JB in parallel reminded me of a good Tele bridge pickup.

Not exactly, of course, but it reminded me of one.

Comment

Generally, if I split a humbucker, it's in conjunction with another, to get that quasi Strat notch quack. It's seldom, if ever, that I split a single 'bucker on its own.

Comment

Many thanks for all the replies!

​​Option 2 isn't that useful, it seems.

According to some replies, I may want to consider a 3rd option, which would be: 1 push-pull to put the bridge PU in parallel, 1 push-pull to put the neck PU in parallel.

How good /interesting is the tone in the middle position, when both pickups are in parallel? And when one pickup is in parallel and the other pickup is in series?

Comment

Working...
                          X