banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally I put an SSL-1 neck in my strat. Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    I would not replace a Fender Pure Vintage pickup with a Duncan. They sound absolutely brilliant, all of them, IME.
    Both my Fender Strats are MIM Standards which had ceramic single coils. They are good for pushing the amp for hard rock but do not the traditional Strat tone.
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

I was finally able to tweak the ISP Decimator GString for some dynamics with the volume knob in the crunch channel to go scrunch rhythm to breaking up clean. Then channel switching for the lead sound. Not 100% perfect but good enough for me, love that Decimator. Two weeks from now we should have a rehearsal at the roof (good ventilation is a must against covid for rehearsals) and I will test this live at last.
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
        I was finally able to tweak the ISP Decimator GString for some dynamics with the volume knob in the crunch channel to go scrunch rhythm to breaking up clean. Then channel switching for the lead sound. Not 100% perfect but good enough for me, love that Decimator. Two weeks from now we should have a rehearsal at the roof (good ventilation is a must against covid for rehearsals) and I will test this live at last.
        When playing live I always lower the decimator knob. A bit. On stage in a crowded room you won’t be able to heat a little noise coming from your rig.

Comment

Both my Fender Strats are MIM Standards which had ceramic single coils. They are good for pushing the amp for hard rock but do not the traditional Strat tone.
          I can't say I blame Fender for this. Not everyone wants that glassy, shimmery sound. The beefier ceramic ones are a bit of a compromise. Still technically stratty, but will also give a bit more girth. IMO, it's a bad compromise because it's not as ballsy as the non-traditionalists like, but it's not traditional enough, either.

Comment

Not traditional Strat, but I do like them. They are more like really cheap-O versions of G&L MFDs. Ceramic bar mags below, steel poles. Difference is the old MIM Standard pickups were much more heavily wound than the MFDs, which are pretty lightly wound pickups. And, of course, the materials are cheaper and the poles aren't adjustable.

They're really good pickups for overdrive, but subtlety can be harder to squeeze out of them.

Nonetheless, I like them enough that I kept my '05 MIM Standard stock for seven years before changing a thing. I just didn't use it for cleans or "classic vintage Strat" tones.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-03-2020, 01:00 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by pskorz View Post

I can't say I blame Fender for this. Not everyone wants that glassy, shimmery sound. The beefier ceramic ones are a bit of a compromise. Still technically stratty, but will also give a bit more girth. IMO, it's a bad compromise because it's not as ballsy as the non-traditionalists like, but it's not traditional enough, either.
              This is probably true. If more people had a chance to play say, and early 70s Strat, they would be amazed at how 'weak' the pickups seem compared to modern mass-produced guitars.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Thanks Jeremy. My to-do list just got bigger.
                If you like the STK-S4 in the neck, then IMHO you will like the STK-S7 in the bridge. I have this set (no middle) and really like it. The STK-S7 just has the meat needed in the bridge without going too strong like the STK-S6.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                  If you like the STK-S4 in the neck, then IMHO you will like the STK-S7 in the bridge. I have this set (no middle) and really like it. The STK-S7 just has the meat needed in the bridge without going too strong like the STK-S6.
                  What's funny is, the S6 doesn't strike me as "too strong." It's actually nicely balanced with S4's. That's what intrigues me about trying the S7. I'd have one right now but I prefer to order from Sweetwater, and they seem to be out.

Comment

Originally posted by pskorz View Post

Yeah it doesn't work for a lot of people which I understand. I like ceramic singles for the exact reasons you don't like em' I think . It's a great compromise for me. I still favor a good ole SSL-1 in the middle though

Comment

To me, the ideal middle pickup is the Five Two. It really sounds wonderful with the softer highs, with the bass strings having that alnico V 'thwap' to them.

Comment

The middle pickup is my "home base" neutral tone position on a Strat. I like the e.q. and gain of the amp to be set to make the middle pickup clear, strong, and midrangey. Not bright, and not dark. I play a lot of my basic rhythm stuff on that pickup. From there, the neck is warm and sweet, and the bridge is thin and aggressive.

I have had great sounding middle pickups with all A3s and all A5s. Wasn't so keen on all A2s. Never tried a 5-2. But it's hard to say based on magnet type, since each of those pickups probably also had a different wind, and all of the magnets of a certain type are not created equally.
                        Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-03-2020, 09:47 PM.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Generally, I use the middle only for the #2 & #4 notch chime, but I've got one wound by Zhangliqun that's sweet. I imagine it's on par with an Antiquity. It's got that open, airy 3D quality that I rarely hear in a single. I love it on its own. On the other hand, I've got a 5/2 laying around here somewhere that I've never installed. I need to check it out.

Comment

I only use the middle for 2 & 4 as well, and could get by without a middle pickup at all. But I am happy my Strat has a middle pickup, even if it is screwed down a little lower. I can still get quacky with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X