Hybrid pickups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid pickups.

A few weeks ago I had to disassemble a JB to resolder the internal wiring connections.
    I was intimidated at first but once I got it open it really is a simple design.
    I got to thinking that I’d like to make a Custom/JB pickup.

The question:
    How would I determine which coil should be the slug and which should be the screw?
    What would be the tonal effect of the different combinations?

Ime, putting the hotter coil near the bridge makes it rounder while the other way makes it harsher.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Most of the successful hybrids start with a Custom screw coil and a more vintage slug coil such as 59, PG, or Jazz. I don't remember people being too enthusiastic about JB hybrids. I made one with a JB screw coil and a GFS Fat PAT slug coil and an A6 magnet. It was good sounding but not spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
        Most of the successful hybrids start with a Custom screw coil.
        Uh wat? You can make whatever you want.
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
          Most of the successful hybrids start with a Custom screw coil and a more vintage slug coil such as 59, PG, or Jazz. I don't remember people being too enthusiastic about JB hybrids. I made one with a JB screw coil and a GFS Fat PAT slug coil and an A6 magnet. It was good sounding but not spectacular.
          Going with a JB and a Fullshred or Custom is one absolutely amazing hybrid. It's perhaps my favorite of all hybrids. Perhaps because you used an A6 or the GFS coil? Not sure. I have only used SD and Dimarzio's to hybridize.

As an aside: a 44 awg coil, 7K (like a JB) plus a 43 awg coil, 6K (like a custom) is the same structure as a Dimarzio Evolution. Throw in the thin ceramic magnet of the Custom instead of the alnico5 and BAM... Seymour Duncan Evolution

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post

Going with a JB and a Fullshred or Custom is one absolutely amazing hybrid. It's perhaps my favorite of all hybrids. Perhaps because you used an A6 or the GFS coil? Not sure. I have only used SD and Dimarzio's to hybridize.

As an aside: a 44 awg coil, 7K (like a JB) plus a 43 awg coil, 6K (like a custom) is the same structure as a Dimarzio Evolution. Throw in the thin ceramic magnet of the Custom instead of the alnico5 and BAM... Seymour Duncan Evolution
            So would you suggest the Custom screw coil and JB slug coil or as Clint recommended the hotter coil (JB I’m using the resistance number as a reference even though it doesn’t necessarily mean hotter) as the screw coil for a bridge pickup, in this case?
            Last edited by Gtrjunior; 08-27-2020, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              Ime, putting the hotter coil near the bridge makes it rounder while the other way makes it harsher.
              I’d have to measure them...the JB overall has a higher resistance but that doesn’t necessarily mean hotter, as we know.

Comment

The JB's hotter.
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  The JB's hotter.
                  Ty, sir...

Would that make the JB the dominant sound in the pickup?

Comment

The JB/C still sounds like a good mix of both even though the JB is a little hotter.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Sounds like something I’d like then!

Comment

Hey Gtrjunior. It just occurred to me, aren't you starting with two full pups? Put both hybrids back together and see what you like. You might create two new kool hybrids.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          Hey Gtrjunior. It just occurred to me, aren't you starting with two full pups? Put both hybrids back together and see what you like. You might create two new kool hybrids.
                          I suppose I could!!

Comment

I heard some differences when using a JB/FS with either a screw or slug coil in this pickup but I don't think of it is hotter coil vs cleaner coil. I think of it as 'what pickup has higher or lower inductance' and I play with that. If I have a JB/FS hybrid Alnico V, and one has the 2 screw bobbins and the other 1x screw and 1x slug (Fullshred always has 2 rows of screws; short screws, but still... screws!), I know that the one with the slugs will sound a bit fatter, a bit chunkier than the other and I put it in the appropriate guitar. It's not a WILDLY different pickup, though, It's a nuanced difference. Like, using coarse English mustard vs Dijon mustard.

Comment

Working...
                            X