Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help for H/S/H Strat

Hello all.

I have recently acquired an LTD Strat with a Hot Rails in the bridge and neck & SSL-5 in the middle... I have the control pattern set as individual pickup volumes (a concentric pot for bridge on top, neck on bottom & a standard pot for the middle...), and currently the 5-way is wired for the auto split of the Hot Rails in positions 2 & 4. But I want to do something different to expand my tonal options...

What I wanna do is have the Hot Rails on a mini toggle for the coil splits, BUT I want to split them so that they split to the outer coils rather than one inner and one outer like it currently is per the SD diagram... How do I wire the mini toggle to accomplish this?

Thanks in advanced. Will post pics when its done!

Can you link to the diagram that you're talking about? However, generally, with a humbucker, (even the rails), splitting to the same coils simply means shorting both red/white pairs to either ground, or black, depending on which coil you want. I'm not sure which is which on a Hotrails.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      Can you link to the diagram that you're talking about? However, generally, with a humbucker, (even the rails), splitting to the same coils simply means shorting both red/white pairs to either ground, or black, depending on which coil you want. I'm not sure which is which on a Hotrails.
      This is basically the main diagram I am using, minus how the triple independent volume controls are wired... this is currently giving me one inner coil and one outer coil when the splits are active. IIRC, the bridge is the inner split in position 2 and the neck is the outer split in position 4...

https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...W_1V_1T_AS.jpg

As far as the wiring on the Hot Rails, its the same as a normal SD humbucker.
      Last edited by Despised; 08-27-2020, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Ok. That would be hard to do with the standard 5-way, but easy to do with a toggle switch. Like this: (That's one pickup on each side.)
        On the left, that's green and ground. On the right, black and also where that pup goes to the 5-way.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	switch.png Views:	0 Size:	584 Bytes ID:	6012503
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-27-2020, 06:54 AM.

Comment

By the way, since a HotRails is symmetrical, you could simply rotate the neck 180 deg's in it's mount. Same effect - no soldering.

Comment

Ok. That would be hard to do with the standard 5-way, but easy to do with a toggle switch. Like this: (That's one pickup on each side.)
            On the left, that's green and ground. On the right, black and also where that pup goes to the 5-way.
            Click image for larger version Name:	switch.png Views:	0 Size:	584 Bytes ID:	6012503
            At that rate, the 5-way will be the normal switching configuration of B/B&M/M/M&N/N. The coil splits will be done now by the mini toggle.

And something doesn't seem right with that diagram... i know that the red & white is currently splitting it to the right side coil (when your looking at the front of the pickup...). So how would this give me the left side coil on the bridge & right side on the neck? The way its drawn now appears to be giving me exactly what I have now, just on a mini switch instead of on the 5-way...

Comment

The difference is, the diagram you posted has both pups red/whites going to ground. (Through the switch.) With what I posted, one R/W goes to green, and one R/W goes to black. That selects opposite coils. Let me see if I can find in my archives another diagram that helps illustrate this better than words.

Comment

The difference is, the diagram you posted has both pups red/whites going to ground. (Through the switch.) With what I posted, one R/W goes to green, and one R/W goes to black. That selects opposite coils. Let me see if I can find in my archives another diagram that helps illustrate this better than words.
                so after digging around a little more, I came across the diagram below. It indicates how to get each coil per split. Now to wire both humbuckers to the mini switch, do i wire one pickup to one side, and the other to the opposite side? And then where are the ground and outputs connected to go to the switch?

Comment

I guess im.looking for a slightly more explained version of the above posted diagram of both humbuckers getting those splits, and how the mini switch is grounded and where the outputs to the switch are located.

Comment

That pic is too small for me to make out, but yes, one pup to one side, and one to the other. I had to run some errand, but I'm still looking for my "better" diagram.

But keep this in mind, "normal" humbuckers simply rotate one of them 180 deg's to get the inside/outside thing happening. Then they print the logo on there to match the position. Hotrails have the logo on the same side regardless of whether it's neck or bridge.

But let me find my diagram.

Comment

Working...
                    X