Pegasus/Sentient set for rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pegasus/Sentient set for rock

Thinking about swapping the pickups in my PRS Zach Myers to the Pegasus/Sentient set, but the only decent quality demos I've been able to find are more geared towards metal tones. Does anyone have any experience with this set in more of a rock context? They would be going through a Peavey Classic 50.

While the Sentient does rock tones well (think of a not-as-bright Jazz), the Pegasus is *really* tight on the lows for rock tones. Nothing 'squishy' about what you get...it has a percussive 'thwap' you hear in lots of modern metal. While it does rock tones pretty good, there are other better choices out there if you have a Marshall-based amp.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Makes sense. Do you have any pickups you would recommend? I have the Slash set in my Les Paul and I like them pretty well, but want something different for my PRS for the sake of variety. Currently I have a Custom Custom in the bridge, which I liked in a previous guitar but in this one it feels like I have to fight to get it to sound even close to what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude93 View Post
        Makes sense. Do you have any pickups you would recommend? I have the Slash set in my Les Paul and I like them pretty well, but want something different for my PRS for the sake of variety. Currently I have a Custom Custom in the bridge, which I liked in a previous guitar but in this one it feels like I have to fight to get it to sound even close to what I want.
        If you already have a Custom Custom, you can try it with a Ceramic and/or A5 mag. Those would be the Duncan Custom and the Custom 5.

My bet is you are looking for the Custom (ceramic). Just buy a $5 ceramic mag, or take one out of another pickup.

Comment

A custom overwound P.A.F.-like humbucker (SH-5) with moderate output, perfectly voiced for supreme blues, rock, and metal.

Comment

I've tried both the custom and the custom 5, but due to the semi-hollowness of the guitar both seemed a bit thin in it, especially the Custom 5 due to the lack of mids.

Comment

A Custom or JB is great for heavier rock tunes. For more classic rock, a 59 or Whole Lotta Humbucker have the dynamics if your style depends on it.

Comment

with the A2Ps and SH-11 you seem to be not afraid of more dominant mids. So definitely WLHs over 59s.
                What about the Custom/59 Hybrid?

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                  with the A2Ps and SH-11 you seem to be not afraid of more dominant mids. So definitely WLHs over 59s.
                  What about the Custom/59 Hybrid?
                  Nope, I've found with my playing style and the type of music my band plays pickups with more mids tend to work much better in the mix. I'll take a look at the WLHs. As for the Hybrid, how does that compare to the Custom 5?

Comment

The Hybrid has more mids, and has more touch-sensitivity than the very scooped Custom 5.

Comment

I happen to have a Zach Myers that I play through a Classic 50 with some regularity. Mine has a pair of the overseas made 245S pickups. I personally am happy with the neck pickup; it seems to offer a certain mojo that is very unique. But it's not the same flavor you'd get with a 59 or a jazz. I've considered an Alnico 2 Pro humbucker, or perhaps a 59. I have a Custom/59 Hybrid in my les paul, and my gut tells me that it would be a good contender for your Myers.

Comment

Honestly if I was in a band and getting lost in the mix, I'd just run an sd1 in front, always on.

Comment

Running 3 right now with the Sentient in the neck All Carvins.
                          My KOA DC 127 has had both a Hybrid and a Alt 8 with a Sentient in the neck. Both great combos nw has the Alt 8 in the bridge.
                          My 96 DC 400 with a Carvin passive active module has a Hybrid Sentient in it with a Mahogany neck and body Quilt top Ebony Board and a Floyd.
                          My Purple quilt DC 127 with the maple neck and alder body and a hard-tail has a Perpetual Burn / Sentient set.
                          They all have different personalities. However if you want versatility and a solid mid punch I REALLY love the Alt 8 Sentient combo.
                          Here is clip with my KOA DC 127 running this pickup combo through my Boogie Subway Rocket combo and running nothing but a delay and Verb in the loop and on the high gain channel using the 3way switch guitar volume .and touch to get the different tones.
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by pskorz View Post
                            I happen to have a Zach Myers that I play through a Classic 50 with some regularity. Mine has a pair of the overseas made 245S pickups. I personally am happy with the neck pickup; it seems to offer a certain mojo that is very unique. But it's not the same flavor you'd get with a 59 or a jazz. I've considered an Alnico 2 Pro humbucker, or perhaps a 59. I have a Custom/59 Hybrid in my les paul, and my gut tells me that it would be a good contender for your Myers.
                            I actually managed to find a video of this guitar with a Hybrid in the bridge. Really liked the tone, so I'm thinking of going that route and maybe putting the stock neck pickup back in because I did like the tone of it in hindsight, and the Hybrid seemed to complement it well.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude93 View Post
                              I've tried both the custom and the custom 5, but due to the semi-hollowness of the guitar both seemed a bit thin in it, especially the Custom 5 due to the lack of mids.
                              Wow..... that's crazy that the Custom sounded thin.

Comment

Working...
                              X