SD Broadcaster STL-1B wind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Broadcaster STL-1B wind?

I ordered a new SD vintage Broadcaster set since i wanted to try the STL-1B for years and i had some bad experiments on the used market with duncan tele pickups.
    Specwise they seem to be all over the place. Currently the Duncan page says 8k but in the past it was also listed around 7,5k or lower.

sound wise i was hoping for a lil more beaf so i made sure i get the current 8k version and not some used ones measuring 7,3k etc.
    i will try it in another guitar but so far it's not what i have hoped for.

Now, looking at the bobbin i am surprised it is kind of skinny (like half full). the JD and STL52-1 bobbins are much fatter, so it seems there is more wire on them.
    Can it be the SD Broadcaster is AWG43 wire and not 42?

found this on tdp:
    I know there's been discussion here over the years as to whether the SD Broadcaster pickup (STL-1b) uses 42 or the thinner and higher resistance 43 awg wire. SD is rather tightlipped about their manufacturing specs so clarification has been difficult. I'm now pretty convinced that the SD...

Our Vintage Broadcaster pickup uses A5 poles with a slightly larger diameter than the rest of our Tele pickups, and it uses 43pe.............this message will self destruct in five.......four......three.......two.......one.... ...........(boom)

and here:
    a coil's dcr is the result of the bobbin coil wire turn count. the same turns of 43 and 42 wire will result in a higher 43 wire dcr than the 42 wire. with that tele bridge pup, 8k dcr of 43awg is WAY more treble oriented than 8k dcr of 42awg coil wire. My understanding is that in...

post #23

Per an August 2013 message on this site from SD's Scott Miller, the Duncan Broadcaster is wound with 43 gauge plain enamel wire.

Our Vintage Broadcaster pickup uses A5 poles with a slightly larger diameter than the rest of our Tele pickups, and it uses 43pe.............this message will self destruct in five.......four......three.......two.......one.... ...........(boom)

Comment

I don't know about the wire gauge, but I can confirm that my Broadcaster measures right at 8K and the bobbin is kinda slim.

Comment

Players without the experience of having owned a real 50's Tele often assume the bridge pickup is hotter than it is.

Roy Buchanan's sound came from a '53 Tele with a defective pickup and a Vibrolux Reverb Amp turned way up. He sometimes turned it around backwards onstage so the audience heard the sound coming from the back of the amp's speakers. Don Mare knows more about Roy's Tele "Nancy" than anyone and he does make a copy of that defective bridge pickup. He says that if you only own one Tele it might not be the pickup for you, but you might want to try it in your #2 Tele.

Do a search over on the Telecaster Discussion Page. There's a wealth of info on "Nancy", Roy Buchanan and Don Mare.

Don's the only guy who's opened "Nancy" up and taken readings. He says the pickup had NO READING with a multi meter. But it still worked.

Danny Gatton also played through a cranked Vibrolux Reverb. Danny's '53 Tele had Joe Barden pickups in it by the time he made his most well known recordings.

I used those for a while. A bit too bright and steely clean for me but they worked for Danny and they sound good through an old Fender Amp cranked way up.

Doc Barlo doesn't post much here anymore but when he did 10 or 15 years ago he suggested I try an alnico 2 Tele bridge pickup, and when I did I heard the sound my '51 Tele had.

So I ordered an A2 '53 Tapped and an A2 Jerry Donahue from the Duncan Custom Shop.

The Jerry Donahue still resides in my Tele Custom and the '53 Tapped is in one of my Strats.

They do distorted tones more smoothly than the real '53 pickup in my '54 Esquire.

Early '54 Teles and Esquires still used the flat poled version of the Tele bridge pickup and that's what's in mine.

Later '54 Teles and Esquires used the raised polepiece version...or so I've read.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Seymour really hit it out of the park with the JD. I can't speak to its vintage authenticity, but it's by far my favorite Tele bridge pup. It replaced both an Antiquity II and Antiquity 55 that I had first. Both of those were outstanding, but the JD edged them both out.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Seymour really hit it out of the park with the JD. I can't speak to its vintage authenticity, but it's by far my favorite Tele bridge pup. It replaced both an Antiquity II and Antiquity 55 that I had first. Both of those were outstanding, but the JD edged them both out.
            The Custom Shop version is even better. A little more transparent. Both are terrific.

Comment

I don't see that on their website. Did the CS version maybe become the production version?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                I don't see that on their website. Did the CS version maybe become the production version?
                I dunno! I've had mine a long time. Mj wound it.

Comment

There are several CS versions of pickups that aren't on the CS page. Since it is a true Custom Shop, it almost doesn't make sense to have 'production' CS pickups at all.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X