Interesting wiring diagram (Dean EVO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting wiring diagram (Dean EVO)

I came across one of my old guitars at my parents house recently, it's a Dean EVO 60 (lp style w/P90s). I got it close to 20 years ago and just remember not digging it. I put in a set of Rio Grande P90s back in the day and remembered thinking the neck pu was too high, action had to be raised too much to compensate, yada yada yada. I basically forgot about it because i thought it needed more work than I could handle at the time.

Fast forward to today and this thing kinda rules! Feels great, plays great, and the Rio Grande's scream! However the wiring was goofy, switching btwn the pus was cutting in and out. Being way more guitar savvy these days I was like I'll just check the wiring. I've changed humbuckers in almost all of my Les Pauls so I kinda knew what I was looking for. However, this guitar is wired differently than any LP style I've seen. It has the pickups wired to the pickup selector, not the pots. I thought that my stoned ass college roommate wired it goofy with the best info we had in 2001, but the Dean wiring diagram is exactly the same (see attached).

Is this common in some guitars? Is there any benefit to it? I just assume start from scratch and wire it like my other LP guitars unless someone here can point out something crucial i'm missing?
    Quality riffs in about a minute...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

That's completely normal for 1-Vol/1-Tone guitar. In a 2-Vol/2-Tone guitar, you'd do pots first. (Or, a 2-Vol/no-tone guitar.)

Comment

really? it just seems so backwards to me! huh. learn something new every day. now that i think about it, i guess all my 1 vol/1 tone guitars are single pickup...

Comment

Well, think about it. How could you send two pickups to one volume control, before they hit the selector switch. Once they're connected together at the volume pot, there's no splitting them later.

An LP has two volume controls.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Well, think about it. How could you send two pickups to one volume control, before they hit the selector switch. Once they're connected together at the volume pot, there's no splitting them later.

An LP has two volume controls.
          my man is dropping some knowledge on me! yeah that actually makes perfect sense...i never really understand wiring diagrams completely, i just swap out what is there with what i want in there, so this has been a cool (and humbling!) learning sesh for me! thanks!

Comment

No prob man. Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
            X