Splitting HH guitar to inner coils with push-pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting HH guitar to inner coils with push-pull

Does this diagram accomplish this? Also, I am trying to make the tone control not affect the neck pickup, when active by itself.

Guitar is Dean, made in China (if that is relevant to the pickup selector function)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dean2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	6013243

I don’t think the neck humbucker splits to the inner coil. The south coil is the screw coil and the N and S finishes get shunted to ground when the pull push switch is raised. This leaves the north coil hot and the north coil is the slug coil on the outside.

The bridge humbucker finish junctions go to hot when the switch is raised so the lead closest to the ground is the hot one. This will be the south/screw coil finish. That is also an outside coil. So you will have both pickups outer coils on in parallel and humcancelling. Depending on how far apart the pickups are, you probably wont get that in between single coil sound similar to a strat but more like a Tele I suppose.

Even if you follow this diagram, the bridge is a Dimarzio so if you aren’t using one then don’t go by color there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
      I don’t think the neck humbucker splits to the inner coil.
      You're correct. It splits to the "stud" coil.

Comment

If you want the tone on the neck humbucker only, then solder the lead from the pot to the necks hot lead right on the switch. Only issue I think is that it will affect the sound when it’s combined or split. But it won’t affect the bridge when that’s selected by itself. There is an alternative but it requires a dedicated pole on the switch to do so. Then it can be active only for that position. But you probably need a super switch.

Comment

Oh I misread. You want the tone to not affect the neck. Same thing as above but for the bridge humbucker then.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
            I don’t think the neck humbucker splits to the inner coil. The south coil is the screw coil and the N and S finishes get shunted to ground when the pull push switch is raised. This leaves the north coil hot and the north coil is the slug coil on the outside.

The bridge humbucker finish junctions go to hot when the switch is raised so the lead closest to the ground is the hot one. This will be the south/screw coil finish. That is also an outside coil. So you will have both pickups outer coils on in parallel and humcancelling. Depending on how far apart the pickups are, you probably wont get that in between single coil sound similar to a strat but more like a Tele I suppose.

Even if you follow this diagram, the bridge is a Dimarzio so if you aren’t using one then don’t go by color there.
            Thank you! Is getting inside coils as simple as switching where the wires connect to the push-pull, like I edited below?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dean3.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	6013265

Comment

It's better if you don't think in terms of "inside/outside", but stud and screw. Because you can rotate a pup 180 deg's and it won't affect the wiring. So, for instance, on a Duncan pup, red/white shorted to ground will always give you the stud coil, while R/W shorted to hot, or black, will always give you the screw coil.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                It's better if you don't think in terms of "inside/outside", but stud and screw. Because you can rotate a pup 180 deg's and it won't affect the wiring. So, for instance, on a Duncan pup, red/white shorted to ground will always give you the stud coil, while R/W shorted to hot, or black, will always give you the screw coil.
                As it relates to this diagram, would that be accurate, though?

I appreciate the clarification! I'm learning a lot here. I didn't even realize which wires the switch is shorting together.

Comment

Yes. On your diagram, you're shorting the Duncan R/W to black. So that will give you the Duncan screw coil. Inside coil as it relates to your diagram. Not sure about the DiMarzio because It's Sunday evening and I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Comment

To make your schematic:

Start with a normal slug coil splitting diagram using Dean color codes.

Reverse the polarity of both pickups by swapping their main leads.

Have the tone control input come from the same switch lug to which your bridge pickup’s hot lead is soldered.

That’s all you need to do. Flipping a pickup’s polarity when it is already wired for splitting to the slug coil will split it to the screw coil instead. And because you are doing it to both pickups, instead of just one, you will not be out of phase in the middle position. There is another way to wire a pickup to split to the screw coil, but it involves reordering all four color coded wires, so that you are flipping your coil starts and finishes AND flipping the polarity of the pickup. But that method is only necessary if you want one pickup to split to the screw coil and the other to split to the stud coil. The one I named is the most simple to perform, and it works, as long as you are doing it on both pickups.
                    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-30-2020, 04:29 PM.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion- I'm actually using the pickups indicated in the diagram (SD neck and Dmz bridge)

Comment

Originally posted by ericcomposer72 View Post
                        Sorry for the confusion- I'm actually using the pickups indicated in the diagram (SD neck and Dmz bridge)
                        It doesn't matter what brand. Just know your color codes.

For Duncan, red and white to the split, bare and black to ground, green to selector switch. (Same as normal, just swap your black and green wires).

Convert those colors to DiMarzio colors for the other pickup.

If, after doing this, you are out of phase in the middle position, you'll have to wire one of the pickups with the other screw coil splitting method that I mentioned. I have not combined DiMarzio and Duncan humbuckers in the same guitar, so I don't know if they are in phase with each other when wired normally.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X