Changing pot in a Liberator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing pot in a Liberator

So it is most likely I will end wrong I decided to post what I will be doing as a way to fight against procrastination. I had Liberator 250K unused and I need a Liberator 500k but not the money and time to wait for a new one and I just want to put it in the Wine Strat so all my 3 guitars will have a Liberator.

Disclaimer: I am not very well skilled in soldering, that is why I have Liberators in the first place. I am sure a skilled technician can do this properly without butchering the thing.

Step #1 Butchering the thing: The Liberator is a PCB board with a gold film for ground connections that are exposed as pads. There is one pad too were the pot is soldered so I did my best to remove the existing solder using my pencil soldering iron and a simple solder remover (it literally sucks the solder) but I am not that good skilled so I was not able to remove it completely and ended pulling the gold pad when pulling the pot. Also I applied too much heat on the wholes were the pot legs were conencted so one of the gold platings got off. This is no big problem for me because the new pot it standard size so neither the pad or wholes would be used.

Som pics of the crime scene.

Next step: Hopefully next weekend I will make the actual definitive soldering of pots and wires. This week I need to figure the wiring diagram. Current plan is it should be an HSS with OEM PAF Pro (came stock with the Blue Strat), SSL-6 and STK-S6.

The horror will continue
    Attached Files
    Who took my guitar?

Originally posted by scottoreilly
    I dont think Seymour DUncan do an equivalent size now to these. Possible upgrade if I can find the right size pups.

Kodi nox
    Are you sure you know what you're talking about? Perhaps you need to restate what you just said, because to me that doesn't make any sense. You're the one who posted about soldering on an exhaust, right?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Are you sure you know what you're talking about? Perhaps you need to restate what you just said, because to me that doesn't make any sense. You're the one who posted about soldering on an exhaust, right?
      speaking of auto-parts, did you note that the lastname of the poster is supposedly "o'reilly"? I have a theory.....

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-14-2020, 11:23 AM.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
      X