Soldering questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soldering questions.

I can't read this thread. Maybe I read to many books on how to solder trying to answer the same question. Every book I read never said (I agree with Lee but) anything about the tip having a sweet spot. If you can't touch the tip's sweet spot to the larger surface to be soldered to, bridge it by touching the solder to the sweet spot and letting it flow to the surface. If the solder still balls up loosen and retighten the tip, the sweet spot will move. If that doesn't get it get a wheller 140 gun (what I use for removing grounds on pots) $40. While at RS get a desolder braid - wick, use it to remove solder connections, and to clean (prep) terms for new connections. Rotate your iron on the wick while desoldering to breakup carbon traces (carbon traces bypass current from the tip) and widen the sweet spot. Then keep the tip clean like Lee said. I use 60/40 .062 or smaller (the more mass the longer it takes to heat up) don't add flux.

The solder wick is the first thing you nead to get, it removes bulk and gives you a tinned surface to start with.
    Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning
      I can't read this thread. Maybe I read to many books on how to solder trying to answer the same question. Every book I read never said (I agree with Lee but) anything about the tip having a sweet spot. If you can't touch the tip's sweet spot to the larger surface to be soldered to, bridge it by touching the solder to the sweet spot and letting it flow to the surface. If the solder still balls up loosen and retighten the tip, the sweet spot will move. If that doesn't get it get a wheller 140 gun (what I use for removing grounds on pots) $40. While at RS get a desolder braid - wick, use it to remove solder connections, and to clean (prep) terms for new connections. Rotate your iron on the wick while desoldering to breakup carbon traces (carbon traces bypass current from the tip) and widen the sweet spot. Then keep the tip clean like Lee said. I use 60/40 .062 or smaller (the more mass the longer it takes to heat up) don't add flux.

The solder wick is the first thing you nead to get, it removes bulk and gives you a tinned surface to start with.
      Now I'm really confused about the sweet spot thing!

What is a solder wick!? Oh, where is my guitar tech friend when I need him?
      Why no flux!!!???????

I tried desoldering braid but it never seemed to do anything. Seemed like it would take about 2 hours to get anywhere with one.

Thanks

Comment

Thought I'ld toss in here that flux is nothing more than pine tar, (like from Pine trees). Its sole purpose is to clean the surface thats to be soldered. Like if your mom ever cleaned with Pine-Sol - same stuff.

And yes, its fairly important to good soldering.

Comment

flux cleans the solder joint and takes the impurities outta the solder and component joint area, if a pot has a finish over it to prevent residue, the solder and flux dont even get to the metal, they just hit the finish and ball up. thats why you sand lightly to remove that so the solder works. for me, soldering was an experience kinda thing, my first soldering jobs were terrifying and poor, as i practiced i got better, now perfect soldering is a breeze, didnt take too long to get good at it either
          Last edited by HolyDirt; 05-22-2004, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Most guys and techs I talk to never use heat sinks for solder.
            I have tried the bulb or solder sucker but it always get sclogged and the desoldering braid never seems to do much or enough.

Time to call the tech!

THanks so much guys...I may give it one more go.

I'll try one more time. I'll use a bulb and desoldering braid to try and remove the older solder. I'll sand a little and maybe use some flux on the back of the pots. Do you have to sand the terminals also? I always use a spong to clean the tip so I'll keep that up. I am determined to not have to rely on a tech though so we'll see. You guys rock!
            Last edited by papersoul; 05-22-2004, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Excellent Soldering Tips

btw, i use 600 grit sandpaper to keep the tip clean and a damp sponge

good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                Most guys and techs I talk to never use heat sinks for solder.
                I have tried the bulb or solder sucker but it always get sclogged and the desoldering braid never seems to do much or enough.

Time to call the tech!

THanks so much guys...I may give it one more go.

I'll try one more time. I'll use a bulb and desoldering braid to try and remove the older solder. I'll sand a little and maybe use some flux on the back of the pots. Do you have to sand the terminals also? I always use a spong to clean the tip so I'll keep that up. I am determined to not have to rely on a tech though so we'll see. You guys rock!
                i've never had to sand the terminals, but there may be pots like that out there...

Comment

Working...
                X