banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low output bridge to go with Jazz pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low output bridge to go with Jazz pickup?

i like the Jazz in the neck, and currently have a 59 in the bridge, but i find the 59 a little too thin and it doesn't really scream.

what pickups can i try?
    Last edited by Reee; 09-11-2020, 09:47 AM.

Try the A2 Pro Bridge model. It's leaner and warmer sounding than the '59 Bridge.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

There is a Jazz bridge pickup, which is just as clean and clear as the Jazz neck. The Alnico II Pro will have less highs, with more mids. It isn't harsh, and it is a good compliment to the sometimes strident Jazz neck.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post
        i like the Jazz in the neck, and currently have a 59 in the bridge, but i find the 59 a little too harsh on the cleans, maybe it's the midrange?

what could i replace it with? maybe something with a little less output? does a jazz in the bridge work?
        I find the stock 59B to be a little brighter than my favorite pickups too. But it's also one of my favorite pickups for trying different magnets in.

Stock, the newer 59B's have a polished Alnico 5 magnet. Replacing it with a roughcast Alnico 5 magnet will round that treble, seem to add some texture to the treble and mids and loosen up the bass just a little. It will be more "touch sensitive" and you'll be able to shape the tone more easily with different ways of picking.

My favorite magnet swap in a 59B is to swap the stock polished Alnico 5 magnet with a roughcast Alnico 2 magnet. That will round and warm the treble even more, and add even more mids and texture to the 59.

Original Gibson paf's used roughcast magnets and more often than not sound to me like roughcast Alnico 2 or Alnico 4.

Alnico 4 gives a 59B a sound that's in between Alnico 2 and Alnico 5, but closer to Alnico 2.

None of my 59's were wax potted or had covers, so swapping the magnet was easy.

Much easier (and cheaper) than unsoldering the old pickup and installing a new one.

Most of us buy our magnets from AddictionFX.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

a4 or a2 magnet in your 59 would be the first thing id try. a4 is brighter than a2 but both are less bright and lower output than a5

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            a4 or a2 magnet in your 59 would be the first thing id try. a4 is brighter than a2 but both are less bright and lower output than a5
            There ya go. More succinct than my wordy answer but basically the same answer.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              There is a Jazz bridge pickup, which is just as clean and clear as the Jazz neck. The Alnico II Pro will have less highs, with more mids. It isn't harsh, and it is a good compliment to the sometimes strident Jazz neck.
              why is the jazz bridge almost impossible to find info on? i think there is not even 1 youtube video on it; nor any sound clips on the duncan website, only of the neck pickup

Comment

why is the jazz bridge almost impossible to find info on? i think there is not even 1 youtube video on it; nor any sound clips on the duncan website, only of the neck pickup
                I'm just going to guess that it's because it's classically mated to a JB. The neck version, I mean. (Seymour's favorite combo, after all.)

Also, consider the Slash A II Pro. Just a teensy bit more "bite" and snap than the regular A II Pro. I love 'em.

Comment

For better cleans with a Jazz neck, Pearly Gates bridge is a great match and handles gain well also. Jazz bridge can be found, I have 2 of them. But they are easy to make also - just buy an A2P bridge (which are plentiful) and swap an A5 magnet into it - voila, Jazz bridge.

My Slash bridge is thicker, full range and somewhere in between a 59, 59/A4 and an A2P. Though my Slash I don’t think it’s good on cleans so much. Absolutely great rock and roll pickup though.

Comment

Well, this is a call out to anyone with an actual Jazz bridge: Make some clips! You don't see many of them in the wild, but I've used them before. Brighter with less bass than a 59, and slightly more dynamic (touch sensitive).
                    An Antiquity bridge is another one that goes will with a Jazz neck.

Comment

maybe something with a little less output?
                      Lower output is harsher in general and vice versa.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Well, this is a call out to anyone with an actual Jazz bridge: Make some clips! You don't see many of them in the wild, but I've used them before. Brighter with less bass than a 59, and slightly more dynamic (touch sensitive).
                        An Antiquity bridge is another one that goes will with a Jazz neck.
                        that sounds like it is exactly what i need!

you should hire someone to make proper demos for all the pickups, i'm sure there are hundreds of guitar players waiting for this job

Comment

I love the Jazz in the neck, one of my favorite neck pups. I've never tried the Jazz(b) in the bridge, but I've also used that one in the neck of a couple guitars when I needed a tiny bit more oomph and mids. That may work well for you.

However, before I even finished reading your original post, the first thought that popped into my head was the A2P or the Slash A2P. I see that several other forum members have also recommended those.

Or, like others have already said, you could put an A2 magnet in a Jazz to make it an A2P (I suspect that an A2 mag in a Jazz(b) would be very similar to the Slash A2P).

If I were you, the first thing I'd try would be to put an A2 magnet in your '59. That's pretty easy and virtually free compared to buying a new pup. If that turns out to be headed in the right direction but not quite enough there, then I'd buy the Jazz(b) and put an A2 in it making it close to the Slash A2P, or at least close to a regular A2P with a little more oomph.
                          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 09-07-2020, 05:47 AM.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

that sounds like it is exactly what i need!

you should hire someone to make proper demos for all the pickups, i'm sure there are hundreds of guitar players waiting for this job
                            'Hiring' someone is well above my pay grade.

Comment

'Hiring' someone is well above my pay grade.
                              it's interesting that the jazz bridge has more DC resistance than the 59, i guess the jazz is perceived as lower output because it has less mids? i think i will also experiment with pickup height a little before changing the 59.

edit: i just found out the 59 can't do split coils because of it's wiring, so i'll have swap to a jazz anyway i guess!

i've read the Jazz pickups are closer to gibson T-top pickups, is this true?
                              Last edited by Reee; 09-08-2020, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X