banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low output bridge to go with Jazz pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been a major proponent of the Jazz Bridge Model in Les Pauls for over 20 years. I think its name is the reason why people shy away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Well, this is a call out to anyone with an actual Jazz bridge: Make some clips! You don't see many of them in the wild, but I've used them before. Brighter with less bass than a 59, and slightly more dynamic (touch sensitive).
      An Antiquity bridge is another one that goes will with a Jazz neck.
      Jolly used to post clips using the Jazz set in a Les Paul. Always sounded good to me. Lots of pinch harmonics.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Is there a mini jazz bridge?

Comment

Mini Jazz? Ah, the Trombone Shorty Set. Custom Shop.

Comment

actually i think i will get a JB/Jazz and stick with it, i'm tired of searching for the perfect pickup

Comment

The JB is my favorite bridge humbucker, probably my favorite out of all the bridge pickups I've tried. It's the opposite of a vintage output bridge hum like the 59. The advantages are it's hot which makes it fuller and less harsh, it's tone rich, and it's versatile. The disadvantages that some people don't like are it's hot lol which makes it less sensitive to pick attack, has a thick midrange, and has kind of a cut up bass from the mids.
              Last edited by Clint 55; 09-11-2020, 05:55 AM.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                The JB is my favorite bridge humbucker, probably my favorite out of all the bridge pickups I've tried. It's the opposite of a vintage output bridge hum like the 59. The advantages are it's hot which makes it fuller and less harsh, it's tone rich, and it's versatile. The disadvantages that some people don't like are it's hot lol which makes it less sensitive to pick attack, has a thick midrange, and has kind of a cut up bass from the mids.
                The JB doesn't really have a thick midrange, like the Custom Custom, which I like a lot better. The JB is harsher, though, and tends to only sound good with at least some distortion, which is why it doesn't usually work for me.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

After playing around with the 59 some more, i actually think it is a great pickup, but i would like it to be a bit fatter, i think i will try a JB again.

I really like Guthrie Govan's bridge tones and he has used the SSH+ (which is based on a JB) and now his custom charvel which has about 15-16k resistance as well so i think the JB will be pretty close?
                  Last edited by Reee; 09-11-2020, 10:15 AM.

Comment

^ You can make a pickup fatter by using a double thick magnet. That'll run you $15 for the mag and $5 for a pack of spacers. I don't know that pickup so if you say it sounds like the JB then go for it. As you probably know, it isn't just the DCR indicated amount of wire on the coil that creates the tone.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    The JB doesn't really have a thick midrange, like the Custom Custom, which I like a lot better. The JB is harsher, though, and tends to only sound good with at least some distortion, which is why it doesn't usually work for me.
                    A stock JB is pretty harsh and doesn't have the smooth midrange like the CC but pretty much all the frequencies through the mids are taken up. You can control how harsh the JB is tho with ur pots and with mag swaps. I only play clean an the JB is my favorite bridge pickup. CC is a great pickup tho. The C5 was my first bridge pickup and it's kind of harsh then when I swapped an A2 in I was like what on earth with all the added smooth mids.
                    Last edited by Clint 55; 09-11-2020, 01:04 PM.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      ^ You can make a pickup fatter by using a double thick magnet. That'll run you $15 for the mag and $5 for a pack of spacers. I don't know that pickup so if you say it sounds like the JB then go for it. As you probably know, it isn't just the DCR indicated amount of wire on the coil that creates the tone.

A stock JB is pretty harsh and doesn't have the smooth midrange like the CC but pretty much all the frequencies through the mids are taken up. You can control how harsh the JB is tho with ur pots and with mag swaps. I only play clean an the JB is my favorite bridge pickup. CC is a great pickup tho. The C5 was my first bridge pickup and it's kind of harsh then when I swapped an A2 in I was like what on earth with all the added smooth mids.
                      you use the JB only for cleans? that's interesting, how far do you have it from the strings? i agree the C5 is kind of harsh and brittle

Comment

If you only use a JB for clean sounds, switch to something like a 59 or even an Antiquity. A whole new world will open up.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

No, I said the JB is my favorite bridge pickup even though I always (95% of the time) play clean. I didn't say I selectively use the JB for cleans. I have vintage output setups that I also like but the JB is my favorite because I like its raunchy sound.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Try a
                            UOA5 in a 59 if you want to thicken it up a bit.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

it's interesting that the jazz bridge has more DC resistance than the 59, i guess the jazz is perceived as lower output because it has less mids? i think i will also experiment with pickup height a little before changing the 59.

edit: i just found out the 59 can't do split coils because of it's wiring, so i'll have swap to a jazz anyway i guess!

i've read the Jazz pickups are closer to gibson T-top pickups, is this true?
                              Yeah, the Jazz is wound with poly coated wire like the T-Top, while the 59 has enameled wire like the PAFs.
                              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

The JB sounds peaky and wears out my ears with 500K pots.

Much easier on the ears with 250K pots.

But I don't really love it either way.

It's a good pickup in a Strat though because most humbuckers don't sound good to me with 250K pots.
                                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Working...
                                X