banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a Jazz with some wiring issues(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a Jazz with some wiring issues(?)

Hi all, first time poster here Bought a Jazz SH2N from an eBay seller (Australian based, I'm in Australia) with the intention to replace the '59 in my MIM Charvel San Dimas. The white label on the back shows "28791 20170205 SH2N NECK". It came with complete packaging, although the box wasn't sealed (are the originals sealed btw?)
    Looking at the wiring diagrams and the existing guitar wiring it seemed to be pretty straightforward, drop in replacement. Well, I was wrong, the Jazz was dead and I'm pretty pissed off I haven't measured the resistance *before* starting to unsolder the 59, remove it, solder the Jazz in and all that. Pulled it out and reinstalled the 59, all back to normal.
    Then I started to measure the resistance between the wires and here are the results:
    Red - White: 7.28K
    Red - Green: Infinite
    Red - Black: Infinite
    Red - Bare: Infinite
    Green - Black: 7.16K
    Green - White: Infinite
    Green - Bare: 7.17K
    Black - Bare: 0 <--- Oops?
    Black - White: Infinite
    White - Bare: Infinite
    Looking at the humbucker color codes attached in the photo these readings don't make much sense to me. Have I been sold a dud that's been tampered with? Short of pulling it apart to see what's inside, what else can I do? Already contacted the seller.
    Thanks.

I don't think you have a dud per se, but you've got one that someone has messed with the wiring. So, your two coils are now R/W and B/G instead of R/G & B/W. Put your meter on red & white, and on the lowest DC volts setting. Bring a screwdriver up against it, then yank it away. If the voltage is positive as you approach, and goes negative when you yank it away, then mark the wire that's on the red lead as positive and the other as negative. If you got the opposite, then black meter lead is positive and vice versa. Do the same for the green & black. Also, when you do that test, note which is the stud and screw coils.

Now, you should be able to connect them up properly and be in phase. And normally, the boxes are just held together with a piece of Scotch tap on either end.

If that didn't make sense, I can probably explain it better with pictures.

Comment

Excellent, that really helped, thanks! It appears that I have:
      Red - positive
      White - negative
      Green - positive
      Black - negative, also ground.
      Comparing the results with the color codes image, how do I know which coil is which? Assuming the ground wire is connected to South start, this means Green & Black are the screw coil and Red & White are the stud coil, is this correct?
      After connecting white and green the resistance measured between red and black is 12.2K. Is the reading right? Looking at https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/jazz-model page DCR is listed as 7.5K. Is the value per coil or for the humbucker when both coils are connected in series?
      Sorry, so many questions from a noob, really appreciate your help

Comment

No prob. Simply put your meter leads on red/white. Do the screwdriver test on both coils. One will be very weak, or zero, and the other will have a decent reading. Probably in 20 - 30 mV range. The strong one is the coil that goes with those wires. Repeat for the other coil just to be sure.

Comment

Got it, thanks. What about the resistance readings, aren't they a bit high for a Jazz SH-2N?

Comment

Yeah. Those numbers clearly aren't right. I don't think you have a Jazz. I hope you didn't get cheap Chinese clone. How does the baseplate look?

Comment

I would send it back and buy one from a reputable dealer.

Comment

would you be able to post pics of the pickup?
                Quality riffs in about a minute...
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Those readings sound like a Custom or Distortion neck.

Comment

Thanks everyone for chipping in, at least the learning curve is pretty steep, so at least I'm happy on this front Mmmm right, the readings are almost similar to the stock JB TB-4s I have in both Charvel and Jackson Pro DK2 guitars measured on the jack with the cable plugged in, for comparison the '59s are around 7.6K ballpark. Another interesting bit: the distance between the 2 outer pole centers doesn't match the regular, nor the trembucker dimensions listed on the SD site, it's kind of in between, around 51mm. While JB and 59s I have on the 2 guitars are pretty much dead on. It's a 5% tolerance, guess it's acceptable from the manufacturer's perspective?
                    Attached some photos, wondering if there's a way to spot a counterfeit?

L.E. Wrote to Seymour Duncan on the site's contact form about it too, see what they think about it.
                    Last edited by AdrianSD; 09-06-2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

i dont have a duncan in front of me at the moment, but that looks questionable...the SD logo printing looks a little janky, and the back plate isn't the one they are currently using. also its upside down from the one in the pics i found here. now, any of these could just be a mix up, but if the wiring is wrong and it's reading 12k...it could be a counterfeit.
                      Quality riffs in about a minute...
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Well, there is no question that you didn't buy an SD Jazz pup. Not even close!
                        But you bought it on ebay..."like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get".
                        I wouldn't even mess with it, return it. Ebay's policy should have your back.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Was this from an authorized dealer on Ebay? How much did you pay?
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They don't call it fleabay for nothing I have serious doubts the seller I bought the pickup off is an authorized dealer, what made me bite the bullet was the fact that it appears to be Au based, 15 years of presence and of course, the price! What should have been a read flag is the this seller only had about a dozen or so products for sale and the SH-2N are the *only* pickups for sale, in fact the only music related products, everything else is what, perfumes? Just looked now, they're down to only 4 products, 1 pickup and 3 perfumes. I mean, seriously, I should have known better )
                            Speaking of price, down here we're being charged a big premium compared to US for a lot of goods, we call it Australia Tax and trying to find a good deal is somehow a national sport, almost as popular as the AFL. I paid on the pickup a ridiculously low AU113, which is really close to the price authorized US based sellers are selling it for. For comparison, a bricks & mortar store price is ~AU170.
                            Anyway, putting this behind now, I've initiated the refund already and now eyeing a Full Shred neck to go in the Charvel with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. For the Jackson I've decided to experiment with a Custom Custom / Jazz pair. Don't know how this will end up, in a way I really like the trashy, nasal sound of the JB, it's nothing compressed about it, just open, happy sounding, in your face pickup.
                            Last edited by AdrianSD; 09-07-2020, 05:25 PM.

Comment

The Custom Custom and the Jazz is an interesting combo...you will get a clean and clear neck pickup with a huge swath of mids on the bridge. It should work great.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X