Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wiring Dragonfire HSH active pickups

Hello everyone,

I've bought and wired a Dragonfire active HSH set around november last year, and after wiring my guitar I have kinda abandoned playing it as it sounds very weird ( pinch harmonics non existent, sound jumping from low to saturated/disrtorted, volume pot making noise when turning it ) and as a newbie in wiring, I can't quite understand what I've done wrong ( I was so happy having some sound output at first ahah ) So if any of you could help me figuring it out, it would be wonderful, I will join my actual wiring pic in the next message, I join dragonfire's basic diagram here

Vous avez des images? Envoyez-les et partagez-les super rapidement avec NoelShack!

Vous avez des images? Envoyez-les et partagez-les super rapidement avec NoelShack!

Forgot how totally awful the image uploading was on this forum, so I uploaded them separately, hope you can see anything

Comment

The only thing I see that stands out is that the bare shields/grounds should be soldered to the back of the volume pot and the white wires should go to the switch. I believe you have the shields and signal wires backward. I can't tell if the wires are correct at the jack or not from that picture. I also am unsure of the value of the pots you are using? Since these are active pickups they should be using 25K pots. Here's how they should be wired. I would get some electric solder flux and just touch up each of the solder joints to make sure you don't have any cold solder joints.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled.png Views:	0 Size:	84.0 KB ID:	6015155

Comment

Ok thanks I'll have a look tomorrow and try figuring out, may provide better quality pictures when it's done. This jack picture will help me too as I remember hesitating on which one to put where, Finally the 25K Pots should be correct, as I used the only ones provided with the pickups by dragonfire

Overall, after making sure to get it right this time, I will practice re soldering, I was unaware of that potential "cold solder joint" problem, thanks for your help!
        Last edited by mx3nergy; 09-07-2020, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Ok I think that fixed it, It was probably the bare shields that were not in place, potentially with the jack all messed up ahah. They now do sound pretty good, the last thing is that I don't get much pinch harmonics but it's maybe that I'm not super used to the guitar, i don't know. Anyways thank you for your help, as I've seen you were the first ( and only) poster as well on my preivous topic, around 1 year ago ahah, thanks twice for your help on both these topics!

Comment

Originally posted by mx3nergy View Post
            Ok I think that fixed it, It was probably the bare shields that were not in place, potentially with the jack all messed up ahah. They now do sound pretty good, the last thing is that I don't get much pinch harmonics but it's maybe that I'm not super used to the guitar, i don't know. Anyways thank you for your help, as I've seen you were the first ( and only) poster as well on my preivous topic, around 1 year ago ahah, thanks twice for your help on both these topics!
            You may need to adjust the height of the pickups to get the harmonics you want. Put a capo on the 12th fret and then measure the distance from the top of the pickup to the bottom of the strings. It should be 4mm bass and 3mm on the treble side. From there you can adjust by ear to get the right balance of thickness and resonance.

Comment

Working...
            X