Wiring les paul with 2 volumes and one switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring les paul with 2 volumes and one switch

Hello this is my first time on one of these as I am in need of some guidance on my current guitar project. I have my first epiphone les paul i have been modding on and off and im on to the final part in figurin out the pickups and wiring but I have hit a brick wall. I want to wire up a quarter pound single coil into the neck position and wire it to its own independent volume and i already have a dimebucker in the bridge wired to its own volume. And then I want to wire in a 3-way switch for the pickups. The problem i have run into is ive only wired my guitar myself once and currently i am unsure if this type of setup is even possible. If anyone has any answers or ideas i would greatly appreciate every bit of helpful input yall may have. Thanks again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The regular Les Paul is wired just like this. Each pickup going to its own volume then a 3 way switch out to the jack. If you don't have tone controls (or don't want them) then you can take the regular 2 volume 2 tone wiring scheme and simply skip the tone control part of it.

Comment

In addition to AlexR's excellent advice, I would also recommend that you wire each pickup to its respctive volume pot in "independent" fashion, vs "traditional". Traditional method has a downside where turning down either one of fhe two volumes, reduces overall volume. To the extent that if you turn down one pot all the way, you kill all sound. That's because the two volume pots are linked together in the circuit via the traditional method. Whereas you have full control over each pickup with the "independenr" method with no impacf to the volume of the other pickup.

See attached pic from the StewMac website for how to wire a volume pot in "independent" fashion. It's very simple. You just swap around which lugs the input and output wires goto on the volume pot.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Just curious. Are you using tone controls or are you doing something else with those two holes?

Or is yours one of those bolt on Epis with just a volume and tone control?

Also, the Quarter Pounder is usually connected to a 250K pot (Stratocasters use 250K pots) while the Dimebucker is usually connected to a 500K pot.
        Last edited by Lewguitar; 09-14-2020, 07:47 AM.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Here's the diagram AlexR was referring to:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...H_3G_2V_1T.jpg

Just leave out the tone pot...the wire from the switch goes directly to the "tip" of the jack,
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Wow thank you for all of this wonderful information!! As to answer some of the questions I do have just one of the bolt ons that originally has just one tone and one volume. And yes my plan is to leave out the tone pots and just do volumes. Once again thank you all so so so much for this help and Sorry for my late reply. I shall update once I get around to getting it up and running!

Comment

P.s. and i have already accounted for the single coil and have a 250k pot for it at the ready!

Comment

Working...
              X