Fender HM bridge pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender HM bridge pickup?

Does anyone know the specs of this pickup or what aftermarket pickup is close to it? it sounds really awesome in the demos.

According to internet legend, the 1980's Japan-made version had a DiMarzio Super Distortion, the 1990's US ones had a DiMarzio Super 3. The current production is a Fender design - don't know the specs, just looks like a normal humbucker for Fender, not even a Shawbucker I presume, just their typical HSS part. Looking at the specs, I kind of guess they just put a ceramic mag in their A5 pickup; but I don't really know.

I had the 1980's era HM Strat. If the pickup legendd is true, I'd say the DiMarzio Super Distortion worked great for all kinds of music of the day. Split well and mixed with the middle single for typical Fender 'quack' also.
    Last edited by beaubrummels; 09-13-2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      According to internet legend, the 1980's Japan-made version had a DiMarzio Super Distortion, the 1990's US ones had a DiMarzio Super 3. The current production is a Fender design - don't know the specs, just looks like a normal humbucker for Fender, not even a Shawbucker I presume, just their typical HSS part. Looking at the specs, I kind of guess they just put a ceramic mag in their A5 pickup; but I don't really know.

I had the 1980's era HM Strat. If the pickup legendd is true, I'd say the DiMarzio Super Distortion worked great for all kinds of music of the day. Split well and mixed with the middle single for typical Fender 'quack' also.
      after checking out more videos on it doesn't seem to be very versatile, but nice to know it's history! i used a super distortion in the past and it was great for high gain shredding but not really good for anything else.

Comment

Super 3 is a pickup everyone should try, if you haven't already. I think it was like a precursor to the Tone Zone, except hotter, a bit more metal and fat rock.

It could be amazing in the right guitar for the right style. I wish I still had mine.

Comment

The HM model was an awesome guitar. Wish I still had mine. LOVED that fat neck.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            The HM model was an awesome guitar. Wish I still had mine. LOVED that fat neck.
            did you see fender has done a reissue of them? they seem to be just as cool!

Comment

Yes....
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

did you see fender has done a reissue of them? they seem to be just as cool!
                And twice as expensive, different colors from the originals, and not the same bridge pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

And twice as expensive, different colors from the originals, and not the same bridge pickup.
                  With a Floyd Rose Special as well- not even the Korean made Original-

The 90s ones had Kahler Floyds

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post

With a Floyd Rose Special as well- not even the Korean made Original-

The 90s ones had Kahler Floyds
                    floyd specials are fine though i never understood why they are disliked, original, 1000 or special are all perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

floyd specials are fine though i never understood why they are disliked, original, 1000 or special are all perfectly fine.
                      They have a cast block and saddles vs machined brass block and machined steel saddles on the FRO and MIK Floyd

I would pay the $1000+ they’re asking for a guitar with a Floyd Rose Special, but the MIK is fine

Comment

Working...
                      X