HH Strat SuperSwitch Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH Strat SuperSwitch Wiring Question

Hi I have a question about Pickup Wiring.

I'm doing a DIY Project for my Fender MIM Strat.

I'm putting a new bridge on it and decided to upgrade the pickups.

I got:

1. SD Cool Rails for the Neck
    2. SD Pearly Gates for the Bridge
    3. A 5-way Super switch.
    4. 2 500k knobs for Volume and Tone
    5. A tone capacitor .044
    6. A Tone Bleed Circuit Mod 1.2nF Capacitor 130k Resistor Kinman Style (I like to play with volume knobs and tone knobs on different settings)

The Wiring I want to do is:
    1. Bridge Pickup in Series
    2. Bridge Pickup Parallel
    3. Neck and Bridge Pickup in Series
    4. Neck Pickup Parallel
    5. Neck Pickup in Series

I like to play a variety of music like funk, reggae, punk rock, and neo soul. I recently took interest in a Fusion Player named Greg Howe and he plays with overdrive and distortion a lot but he's somehow able to make it sound smooth with just the right amount of grit. I know his technique and effects have a lot to do with it but...still.

I mainly play around with Clean tones and I don't want to completely get rid of it, that's why i'm looking at the parallel/series options.

I have no idea how to make a wiring diagram for myself and I've read a few to try to understand what's going on but i've only succeeded in frying my brain. Any help would be appreciated

The diagram below will cover all but the Tone Bleed Circuit Mod. I wil dig something up for that later. This diagram comes from the GuitarElectronics.com (plus a tweak i made to add in a Tone pot).

For seymour duncan pickups:
    "north start" = black wire
    ​​​​"north finish" = white wire
    "south finish" = red wire
    "south start" = green wire

also note for the wire connections in the diagram that look like splices of one wire into another, you wouldn't really do that. That makes things more difficult than necessary. Instead, you link the two or more wires together by soldering them to common lugs. So they end up getting connected together in "daisy chain" fashion. Let me know if I need to explain that further.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-13-2020, 09:59 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

You sure about that diagram?

I haven't looked at the entire diagram, but in position 1 you have the south coil finish wire connected to ground (south start is already connected to ground), so that completely grounds out the south coil.
      You also have the north start connected to the north finish, so that shorts out the north coil.So in position 1 you will have no sound.

Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        You sure about that diagram?

I haven't looked at the entire diagram, but in position 1 you have the south coil finish wire connected to ground (south start is already connected to ground), so that completely grounds out the south coil.
        You also have the north start connected to the north finish, so that shorts out the north coil.So in position 1 you will have no sound.
        Yes, i've previously traced the signal flow for each of the 5 selector positions, using pen and paper. See attached pic below for the flow for Position 1. Directionally, start from the initial ground point (Bridge pickup South Start) and work your way to the input of the Volume Pot. It adds up to my eyes; i don't see the routes to ground that you mentioned.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Yes, i've previously traced the signal flow for each of the 5 selector positions, using pen and paper. See attached pic below for the flow for Position 1. Directionally, start from the initial ground point (Bridge pickup South Start) and work your way to the input of the Volume Pot. It adds up to my eyes; i don't see the routes to ground that you mentioned.
          First thank you so much for responding and making a diagram for me. I'm gonna try it out once all the parts come in the mail. Also thank you for clearing up the part about daisy chaining the wires.
          ​​​​​​
          The part that confuses me is where the original wire splits between the posts connected to the North finish and the South finish. I drew a diagram which I hope clarifies what I'm talking about.

Would I have to solder 3 wires to Lug 1 of the Post connecting the North Finish of the Neck HB and connect the new wire from that Lug to Lug 4 of the Post connecting the South Finish of the Neck HB? I circled the lug that I'm talking about in red.

How would I go about it?
          Last edited by Giology; 09-14-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Giology View Post

First thank you so much for responding and making a diagram for me. I'm gonna try it out once all the parts come in the mail. Also thank you for clearing up the part about daisy chaining the wires.
            ​​​​​​
            The part that confuses me is where the original wire splits between the posts connected to the North finish and the South finish. I drew a diagram which I hope clarifies what I'm talking about.

Would I have to solder 3 wires to Lug 1 of the Post connecting the North Finish of the Neck HB and connect the new wire from that Lug to Lug 4 of the Post connecting the South Finish of the Neck HB? I circled the lug that I'm talking about in red.

How would I go about it?
            There are a few different ways that would work, and your idea is one of them. And it's actually one of the more efficient ways to do it. Good job.

Oh, and I did not design that diagram. The credit goes to GuitarElectronics.com. all i did was tack on a tone pot.

Comment

There are a few different ways that would work, and your idea is one of them. And it's actually one of the more efficient ways to do it. Good job.

Oh, and I did not design that diagram. The credit goes to GuitarElectronics.com. all i did was tack on a tone pot.
              Well thanks for finding it anyway. I'm gonna keep this updated to make sure i'm getting the wiring and all that correctly once I get the parts. Now I just need to figure out how to do the tone bleed wiring.

One more Question. I see that the North Start of the Bridge HB overlaps with the North Start of the Neck HB. How would I wire that?

Do I just wire that to lug 4? Then Continue daisy chaining to the input of the volume pot?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Giology; 09-14-2020, 09:12 PM. Reason: Added a question

Comment

Well thanks for finding it anyway. I'm gonna keep this updated to make sure i'm getting the wiring and all that correctly once I get the parts. Now I just need to figure out how to do the tone bleed wiring.
                By "tone bleed mod", do you mean "Treble Bleed Mod"? Like this: https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...bleed-networks

Comment

By "tone bleed mod", do you mean "Treble Bleed Mod"? Like this: https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...bleed-networks
                  Yea that's what i'm talking about

Comment

One more Question. I see that the North Start of the Bridge HB overlaps with the North Start of the Neck HB. How would I wire that?

Do I just wire that to lug 4? Then Continue daisy chaining to the input of the volume pot?
                    Sure. Any lug that is common btw all of them will work. That's why there are various ways to do it, that will work.

Comment

Working...
                    X