banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not digging the EMG 66... Help me decide!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not digging the EMG 66... Help me decide!

I got a 57/66 set in my LTD EC-401. I absolutely love the EMG 57, but I can't say the same thing about the 66. I guess it has to do with this guitar having 24 frets, but the 66 sounds kinda thin and bland compared to the 60 in my PRS SE (which has 22 frets), which sounds rich, throaty, and full by comparison, yet with enough detail in the top-end not to be too muddy. I feel the 66 is a bit Duncan Jazz-y in the sense that it's a little too attack-y and sorta scooped (in the context of the EMG world, of course).

My initial idea was to put an 85 in the neck, but the only 85 I have is black plastic, and the 57 I have in there is chrome, so it'd look kind of out of place. So if I'm going to get something new, I might as well do my research and find if there's something that will do the job better than the 85.

I want the thinner-sounding neck position on my LTD to sound as rich, full, and smooth as possible without losing clarity. My first candidate would've been the 85, but I wonder if the 60A, the 89, or the 58 might be a better choice. Like I said, I love the 60 in my PRS SE, but I don't think the bright 60 might be the right choice for a thin-sounding position in this 24-fretter. Besides, I've had the 85 in this guitar before, and while I did like, I tend to judge neck pickups based on how they match the bridge pickup, and I had it paired with the 81. So I don't know how it'd pair with the 57. The 57 is, after all, broader, both brighter and fuller, and more powerful than the 81.

What do you guys think? Should I play it safe and get an 85? Or should I experiment with something else?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-14-2020, 12:13 PM.

My experience with trying to get a neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar to sound the same as a neck pickup on a 21 or 22 fret guitar is that it can't be done.

It's like trying to get the middle pickup on a Strat to sound like the neck pickup.

Can't be done because the neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar is mounted in a less than ideal place and it's picking up a different part of the guitar strings.

Not saying the neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar sounds bad.

(Seems to sound all right to Carlos Santana.)

Just that it'll never sound the same as a neck pickup on a 21 or 22 fret guitar.

Going for a hotter pickup or a different pickup isn't the answer.

IMO, you just have to accept it for what it is.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 09-14-2020, 12:39 PM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Well, that's discouraging.

I mean, like I said, I liked the 85 I had in there at some point. Just wondering if there's anything in the EMG range that's "better" as far as throatiness and warmth with some detail up top to consider.

Comment

since you already have the 85, id start there and see what ya think before you buy anything new

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          since you already have the 85, id start there and see what ya think before you buy anything new
          Already working on that, thanks!

I've never tried the 89, 60A, or 58, though, so I won't know if they're any "better" for what I want than the 85.

Comment

the 89 is an 85 with coil split in essence. i like the 60a but its not as big as an 85, never tried the 58

Comment

If you are looking at EMG 89, it would be better to get the 89R since its designed for single coil split tones in 24 Fret guitars. The 89R is warmer sounding than 60, so it sounds more full and has softer pick attack. However I haven't used them both in the same guitar, except when I put 89R bridge and 60 neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                My experience with trying to get a neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar to sound the same as a neck pickup on a 21 or 22 fret guitar is that it can't be done.

It's like trying to get the middle pickup on a Strat to sound like the neck pickup.

Can't be done because the neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar is mounted in a less than ideal place and it's picking up a different part of the guitar strings.

Not saying the neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar sounds bad.

(Seems to sound all right to Carlos Santana.)

Just that it'll never sound the same as a neck pickup on a 21 or 22 fret guitar.

Going for a hotter pickup or a different pickup isn't the answer.

IMO, you just have to accept it for what it is.
                I agree with all of this. That throaty sound of the neck pickup simply doesn't exist on 24 fret guitars. It has to do with the pickup distance from the bridge, I believe. But I've discussed this with pickup builders and guitar builders. Some guitar brands I have to stay away from, as all of their models have 24 frets, and I will never be happy with them.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

Thing is I'm aware that a warm/smooth neck pickup can only go so far as to making the neck position on this guitar sound "better", but that doesn't mean it won't bring it closer to what I want from it. I mean, after all, it was fine with the 85 in the neck before. It didn't sound quite as nice as my PRS SE with 22 frets, true, but it sounded "better" than the 66. Or at least more to my liking. I guess this thread is more about if there are any throatier/growlier EMG's for the neck position than the 85 that will make it sound even "better-er" than before, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                  X