JB meets 498t?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB meets 498t?

I have a Les Paul Classic from 2012 that has a 500t in the Bridge. I’ve never bonded with the p/up but now that I am recording with it, it’s time. I like my mid 90’s studio with the stock 498 and I’m a fan of JB’s. I think I’d like to put something in the bridge of this guitar that’s maybe a perfect compromise between the two. i need something 4 conductor as I’d like to maybe go with Page wiring someday.

Thanks all!

The 498T has a certain graininess to it that I haven't heard in any Duncans.

That said, the Duncan Custom is great in Les Pauls. It won't be as hot a the 500T, but it'll clean up a lot better with the volume pot.
    And if you find decide the voicing isn't quite right for you, it takes a variety of different magnets famously well.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I hate to say it, but I don't think you'll find a perfect compromise between the 2. Been down this road. I like both pickups (JB and 498T), as well.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
        The 498T has a certain graininess to it that I haven't heard in any Duncans.

That said, the Duncan Custom is great in Les Pauls. It won't be as hot a the 500T, but it'll clean up a lot better with the volume pot.
        And if you find decide the voicing isn't quite right for you, it takes a variety of different magnets famously well.
        I have a Custom Custom, should I maybe try that? I haven’t had it in a guitar in years but I didn’t like what I had it in, it was too “clanky” but I can’t be sure I ever had it wired right.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
          I hate to say it, but I don't think you'll find a perfect compromise between the 2. Been down this road. I like both pickups (JB and 498T), as well.
          How would you compare the two? I have history with the JB.

Comment

Why do need a perfect compromise? The difference between the two can be a source of dynamics on the fly.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Why do need a perfect compromise? The difference between the two can be a source of dynamics on the fly.

I was also thinking that an EQ could easily make either pickup sound pretty close to the other. Just didn't mention it in my earlier post

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

What I mean to say is I’d like a pickup that falls as close to as right in the middle of those 2 pickups as possible.

Comment

By the way, I think of the 498T as being sort of half-way between the Custom 5 and the JB tonally, but with that Gibson edge to it. Compared to the JB, the 498T is a little more muscular in the low-midrange and a little more open sounding up top, not quite as compressed as the JB can be.

Comment

Duncan Distortion is like a 500T with something warmer/thicker on the bottom IME. Could be an option.
                    With an A5 I've heard the Distortion is like a nice JB variant (but I haven't tried this, so YMMV)
                    A JB with an A2 mag might be an option if the Custom Custom doesn't serve. It's sounds like a really loud Whole Lotta Humbucker.
                    A Slash bridge is a good all around rock pickup, thick and full, some top end, would be an improvement over a 498, has some heat to it, but not as much as JB/500T, but in the neighborhood of a 498 IME.

Like has been said, there isn't really something in directly between, just other variations that might be nice alternatives.

Comment

Make a hybrid of the 2.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

To the OP: I am a big Fan of the Distortion in a Les Paul, i like the Custom more for Strats. And i have a LP Classic, too. There is Forum member here who showed how to convert the 500t to more Distortion like.
                        He changed one (or you can do both) of the side magnets to wood spacers. I had the chance to compare them side to side. Both spacers changed are really close with a little less highs, only one spacer changed is a milder and less granier 500T and still close to the Distortion.
                        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

You should try the Custom 5 as your first step, IMO.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                            You should try the Custom 5 as your first step, IMO.
                            Why Custom 5? What do you like about it?

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                              To the OP: I am a big Fan of the Distortion in a Les Paul, i like the Custom more for Strats. And i have a LP Classic, too. There is Forum member here who showed how to convert the 500t to more Distortion like.
                              He changed one (or you can do both) of the side magnets to wood spacers. I had the chance to compare them side to side. Both spacers changed are really close with a little less highs, only one spacer changed is a milder and less granier 500T and still close to the Distortion.
                              I am going to be putting a Distortion in an different guitar, an Ibanez SCA 220 it’s a mahogany saber style body but with a hard tail and 2 hums, no single.

I wanna put something different in the LP. But I do have a longer term fantasy about maybe figuring out some “quick connect” harnesses so I could easily swap pickups during recording projects.

Comment

Working...
                              X