banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How close are Hyperions to Pegasus/sentient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How close are Hyperions to Pegasus/sentient?

I'm especially interested in the Pegasus, but the only demos of it are downtuned chugging with too much gain, I'm more of a fusion player so these demos tell me nothing useful about the pickups.

Would demos of the hyperions give me a good idea of how the Pegasus sounds, or are they too different?

also are they lower output than a 59 bridge? i'm confused by this post https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...put-experiment

I'm looking for something with the output of a JB but a bit more clarity, maybe the full shred, but it sounds a little cheesy on youtube (maybe lack of proper demo)
    Last edited by Reee; 09-16-2020, 04:09 AM.

I will say that unless a mid-focused overdrive is used (805 or other TS-type), the Pegasus might have lows that are too tight, and may be too compressed for what I consider the better fusion tones. Holdsworth used a neck 59 in the bridge, and most other people who need/use a good fusion tone would do better with a Custom Custom, or even a Black Winter.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I will say that unless a mid-focused overdrive is used (805 or other TS-type), the Pegasus might have lows that are too tight, and may be too compressed for what I consider the better fusion tones. Holdsworth used a neck 59 in the bridge, and most other people who need/use a good fusion tone would do better with a Custom Custom, or even a Black Winter.
      i certainly dig the 59, but i want something fatter and higher output, like a JB with more clarity. i had a custom 5 in the past but i found it bland, it didn't really have the sparkle or sponginess of the 59. perhaps i should try the full shred after all.
      Last edited by Reee; 09-16-2020, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Consider the PATB series instead.
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Agreed...PATB-1 sounds like what you want!

Comment

Remember, there isn't just one fusion tone. John McLaughlin sounds a lot different than Holdsworth, Gambale, and Di Meola. What are you going for?

Comment

Remember, there isn't just one fusion tone. John McLaughlin sounds a lot different than Holdsworth, Gambale, and Di Meola. What are you going for?
              i'll just buy a JB and call it a day, it's too expensive and tiresome to keep obsessing over pickups, the tones I like are something between Greg Howe on Extraction and Guthrie Govan's charvel tones, a thick warm singing tone with a lot of mids and output but still very dynamic.

Last edited by Reee; 09-16-2020, 12:01 PM.

Comment

To be, a JB is way too compressed for a good fusion tone. Perhaps something like Gambale, who uses a ton of distortion, and maybe some modern fusion players. I need dynamics to play my fusion..haha.

This is the fusion tone that I love (solo starts at 4:35):

Comment

To be, a JB is way too compressed for a good fusion tone. Perhaps something like Gambale, who uses a ton of distortion, and maybe some modern fusion players. I need dynamics to play my fusion..haha.

This is the fusion tone that I love (solo starts at 4:35):
                  it depends, guthrie govan used a suhr ssh+ for the longest time which is basically a JB with a little less honk, he still sounded pretty fusion to me, just a different flavor

Comment

While I can't say how close a Hyperion is to a Sentient/Pegasus, I can tell you that the bridge Hyperion, for all that it has a much higher DC resistance to a 59, isnt much hotter sounding, and seems thin in comparison. I popped an A4 magnet in mine, and it is quite PAF-like now (which I like), though the output feels like it's less than a 59 now (which I don't like).
                    The neck isnt terribly far from a 59 or Jazz. Would be great for fusion IMHO.

Comment

Govan is a great player, and while I'd certainly put his playing and skill in the fusion category, I think his tone is a pretty modern shreddy one vs classic fusion. That seems to be the tone lots of these players are going for. I'd suggest for a more open tone, the Pegasus & Sentient. For more mids, the Black Winter set.

Comment

Govan is a great player, and while I'd certainly put his playing and skill in the fusion category, I think his tone is a pretty modern shreddy one vs classic fusion. That seems to be the tone lots of these players are going for. I'd suggest for a more open tone, the Pegasus & Sentient. For more mids, the Black Winter set.

guess i like the shreddy tone, i grew up on iron maiden and such so that tone is part of my DNA even when i play fusion, i think for players like govan the same time applies, the guys like holdsworth and henderson grew up earlier in a less distorted climate and i guess it reflects their more polite tones.

I will probably get the JB (probably trembucker, not sure if it is different in tone and output from the non-trembucker), cause even when i had a Custom 5 i found is slightly underpowered, pegasus would probably appeal to me even less so.

black winters are off my list as i don't really like ceramic pickups much.
                        Last edited by Reee; 09-17-2020, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Don't judge the pickups by the magnets. They are part of the overall design. A JB is a fine choice, I just never thought it was particularly fusiony- I think the high mids and higher output makes complex chords seem a little mushy.

Comment

Don't judge the pickups by the magnets. They are part of the overall design. A JB is a fine choice, I just never thought it was particularly fusiony- I think the high mids and higher output makes complex chords seem a little mushy.
                            probably not the best for chording indeed, but i'll install a 5-way so i could switch to one of the in-between positions for that, and i've also found the Jazz neck to be very clear under high gain even for chords.

Comment

I was going to say just get an X2N and put a series/parallel switch on it. Then I remembered my Crunchlab. It'll do fusion if you roll back the volume.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X