Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How close are Hyperions to Pegasus/sentient?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How close are Hyperions to Pegasus/sentient?

    I'm especially interested in the Pegasus, but the only demos of it are downtuned chugging with too much gain, I'm more of a fusion player so these demos tell me nothing useful about the pickups.

    Would demos of the hyperions give me a good idea of how the Pegasus sounds, or are they too different?

    also are they lower output than a 59 bridge? i'm confused by this post https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...put-experiment

    I'm looking for something with the output of a JB but a bit more clarity, maybe the full shred, but it sounds a little cheesy on youtube (maybe lack of proper demo)
    Last edited by Reee; 09-16-2020, 03:09 AM.

  • #2
    I will say that unless a mid-focused overdrive is used (805 or other TS-type), the Pegasus might have lows that are too tight, and may be too compressed for what I consider the better fusion tones. Holdsworth used a neck 59 in the bridge, and most other people who need/use a good fusion tone would do better with a Custom Custom, or even a Black Winter.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I will say that unless a mid-focused overdrive is used (805 or other TS-type), the Pegasus might have lows that are too tight, and may be too compressed for what I consider the better fusion tones. Holdsworth used a neck 59 in the bridge, and most other people who need/use a good fusion tone would do better with a Custom Custom, or even a Black Winter.
      i certainly dig the 59, but i want something fatter and higher output, like a JB with more clarity. i had a custom 5 in the past but i found it bland, it didn't really have the sparkle or sponginess of the 59. perhaps i should try the full shred after all.
      Last edited by Reee; 09-16-2020, 05:07 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Consider the PATB series instead.
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD MH-1000HS (TB-15/Lil59n), ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HX FX & Stomp, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

        Comment


        • #5
          Agreed...PATB-1 sounds like what you want!

          Comment


          • #6
            Remember, there isn't just one fusion tone. John McLaughlin sounds a lot different than Holdsworth, Gambale, and Di Meola. What are you going for?
            Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Remember, there isn't just one fusion tone. John McLaughlin sounds a lot different than Holdsworth, Gambale, and Di Meola. What are you going for?
              i'll just buy a JB and call it a day, it's too expensive and tiresome to keep obsessing over pickups, the tones I like are something between Greg Howe on Extraction and Guthrie Govan's charvel tones, a thick warm singing tone with a lot of mids and output but still very dynamic.

              Last edited by Reee; 09-16-2020, 11:01 AM.

              Comment


              • #8

                To be, a JB is way too compressed for a good fusion tone. Perhaps something like Gambale, who uses a ton of distortion, and maybe some modern fusion players. I need dynamics to play my fusion..haha.

                This is the fusion tone that I love (solo starts at 4:35):
                Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  To be, a JB is way too compressed for a good fusion tone. Perhaps something like Gambale, who uses a ton of distortion, and maybe some modern fusion players. I need dynamics to play my fusion..haha.

                  This is the fusion tone that I love (solo starts at 4:35):
                  it depends, guthrie govan used a suhr ssh+ for the longest time which is basically a JB with a little less honk, he still sounded pretty fusion to me, just a different flavor

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    While I can't say how close a Hyperion is to a Sentient/Pegasus, I can tell you that the bridge Hyperion, for all that it has a much higher DC resistance to a 59, isnt much hotter sounding, and seems thin in comparison. I popped an A4 magnet in mine, and it is quite PAF-like now (which I like), though the output feels like it's less than a 59 now (which I don't like).
                    The neck isnt terribly far from a 59 or Jazz. Would be great for fusion IMHO.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Govan is a great player, and while I'd certainly put his playing and skill in the fusion category, I think his tone is a pretty modern shreddy one vs classic fusion. That seems to be the tone lots of these players are going for. I'd suggest for a more open tone, the Pegasus & Sentient. For more mids, the Black Winter set.
                      Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Govan is a great player, and while I'd certainly put his playing and skill in the fusion category, I think his tone is a pretty modern shreddy one vs classic fusion. That seems to be the tone lots of these players are going for. I'd suggest for a more open tone, the Pegasus & Sentient. For more mids, the Black Winter set.

                        guess i like the shreddy tone, i grew up on iron maiden and such so that tone is part of my DNA even when i play fusion, i think for players like govan the same time applies, the guys like holdsworth and henderson grew up earlier in a less distorted climate and i guess it reflects their more polite tones.

                        I will probably get the JB (probably trembucker, not sure if it is different in tone and output from the non-trembucker), cause even when i had a Custom 5 i found is slightly underpowered, pegasus would probably appeal to me even less so.

                        black winters are off my list as i don't really like ceramic pickups much.
                        Last edited by Reee; 09-17-2020, 06:07 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Don't judge the pickups by the magnets. They are part of the overall design. A JB is a fine choice, I just never thought it was particularly fusiony- I think the high mids and higher output makes complex chords seem a little mushy.
                          Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Don't judge the pickups by the magnets. They are part of the overall design. A JB is a fine choice, I just never thought it was particularly fusiony- I think the high mids and higher output makes complex chords seem a little mushy.
                            probably not the best for chording indeed, but i'll install a 5-way so i could switch to one of the in-between positions for that, and i've also found the Jazz neck to be very clear under high gain even for chords.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I was going to say just get an X2N and put a series/parallel switch on it. Then I remembered my Crunchlab. It'll do fusion if you roll back the volume.

                              Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X