banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How close are Hyperions to Pegasus/sentient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PATB-1 is a great pickup! I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a balanced bridge pickup. The B/M/T is extremely well balanced. It is my goto pickup for any guitar with a Floyd Rose setup. It has about the same heat as a JB, but is very balanced across the EQ spectrum. The mids are warm and fat. I currently have a PATB-1 set in my Charvel ProMod, and they have been there for several years. Love these pickups!
    Last edited by SFW; 09-20-2020, 08:52 PM.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Don't judge the pickups by the magnets. They are part of the overall design. A JB is a fine choice, I just never thought it was particularly fusiony- I think the high mids and higher output makes complex chords seem a little mushy.
      I just tried the JB trembucker, i like the output and thickness it has, but it is too compressed like you said! I like the 59 bridge but it doesn't have enough output and snarl, would the Custom 5 be similar to the 59 but thicker and more snarly??

Comment

The Custom 5 has less mids and about 1.5x the output of a 59. If you want something thicker and more snarly than the 59, that is the Custom Custom.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Custom 5 has less mids and about 1.5x the output of a 59. If you want something thicker and more snarly than the 59, that is the Custom Custom.
          and what about the pegasus? is it halfway between a JB and a 59?

Comment

It is closer to the 59 than the JB. The output isn't as high as a JB, there is less compression, but the low end is massive. It doesn't have the upper mid JB thing, either.

Comment

It is closer to the 59 than the JB. The output isn't as high as a JB, there is less compression, but the low end is massive. It doesn't have the upper mid JB thing, either.
              is the Full Shred a compressed pickup like the JB or is it more dynamic?

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

I'd say more or less the same. Still find the JB a bit stiffer.
                Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

the Screamin Demon seems to be pretty close to what i have in mind, sort of a JB voicing with less gain, it seems to have that upper mid "fuzzy violin" thing going on, i assume it is less compressed and reacts better to picking dynamics?
                  Last edited by Reee; 09-25-2020, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

The FS is less compressed than the JB, but it is a very bright pickup. Great if you have a muddy sounding guitar, or like a ton of high frequencies.

Comment

The FS is less compressed than the JB, but it is a very bright pickup. Great if you have a muddy sounding guitar, or like a ton of high frequencies.
                      I've always been curious about a Full Shred. The thing about a bright pickup is that you can always turn the tone knob down or use a darker pot.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
                        The PATB-1 is a great pickup! I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a balanced bridge pickup. The B/M/T is extremely well balanced. It is my goto pickup for any guitar with a Floyd Rose setup. It has about the same heat as a JB, but is very balanced across the EQ spectrum. The mids are warm and fat. I currently have a PATB-1 set in my Charvel ProMod, and they have been there for several years. Love these pickups!
                        The PATB-1 set is killer. But lets not forget the "other" JB. The Perpetual Burn. Sweet clear/clean, but with a distinct character all it's own. My latest fav bridge pup.

Comment

since this thread has gone way off topic, i'm going to start a new one "Lower output JB"

Comment

Working...
                          X