SSL-5's with a 500k pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL-5's with a 500k pot?

Hello! I have a HSS Strat but the current pickups in the neck and mid aren't doing it for me anymore. I would like to put SSL-5s in the guitar, but the only problem is I have my Strat wired with 5ooK pots(the current Neck and Mid pickups in the guitar are single coil sized humbuckers). If I were to put the SSL5 pickups in the mid and neck, would I need to change the value of the pots from 500k to 250k?

You could leave your pots as is and see how you like it, then decide if you want to darken things. I once had my SSL1s with a 500k volume and no tone! It's a bright and glassy sound, but very usable. Other common solutions people do is use a 300k volume pot, or put resistors in parallel with the single coils to darken them.

Edit: woops, saw you're talking about SSL5s. Yeah you're good to go with 500k pots. They're kinda dark with the top rounded off kinda like stacks.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 09-16-2020, 10:34 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Hmm, what is it you don't like with the current setup?

If they're a bit bright, might be an idea to try your current setup with 250k pots for the tones affecting the middle and neck pickups at least.
      It would be a lot cheaper than than replacement pups

Comment

I totally think SSL-5s with 500k would be fine. Some people even consider them dark (I don't, really), but before I go buying other parts, I'd see what it sounds like.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i like the ssl5 best in the neck and middle with 500k pots, in the bridge i prefer 250k. i ran a ssl6 (same pup with flat poles) in hss config with 500k pots and i was very happy with it

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
            Hmm, what is it you don't like with the current setup?

If they're a bit bright, might be an idea to try your current setup with 250k pots for the tones affecting the middle and neck pickups at least.
            It would be a lot cheaper than than replacement pups
            Hello! I have a Dimarzio Satch Track in the Neck and a Cruiser in the Middle position. The Cruiser is underpowered and the Satch Track is too dark for the tone I would like in the neck position of a Strat. I gave the Satch Track a shot and I don't think it is right for that particular guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I totally think SSL-5s with 500k would be fine. Some people even consider them dark (I don't, really), but before I go buying other parts, I'd see what it sounds like.
              Thank you, Mincer. I will try that route first.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                i like the ssl5 best in the neck and middle with 500k pots, in the bridge i prefer 250k. i ran a ssl6 (same pup with flat poles) in hss config with 500k pots and i was very happy with it
                Sounds pretty cool. I actually have my Strat modded to accomodate only one tone knob and both volume and tone are 500k at the moment. I think the SSL5s will be the answer to tone I am looking for. Thank you for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  i would second this emotion...i had the SSL-5 in the neck and middle of a strat with 250k pots and really didn't like them at all...but looking back the issues i had with them might've been cured with 500k pots. Later I put one of them in the bridge of a different strat with 250k and loved it, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯...

but yeah try them with 500k!
                  Quality riffs in about a minute...
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Update: I had the SSL-5s installed with a Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge and they all match perfectly. I used 500 K pots for both volume and tone(I only have one tone knob on the guitar) and it sounds great! The SSL-5's are very good and I'm glad they match with the AT-1. I love playing this strat(Ash Body with a Maple neck and Wenge Fretboard).

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarmusic View Post
                      Update: I had the SSL-5s installed with a Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge and they all match perfectly. I used 500 K pots for both volume and tone(I only have one tone knob on the guitar) and it sounds great! The SSL-5's are very good and I'm glad they match with the AT-1. I love playing this strat(Ash Body with a Maple neck and Wenge Fretboard).
                      Great to hear! Thanks for the update.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

IME it's always good to change one thing at a time and evaluate

Thanks for reinforcing my worldview.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                        X