All Pickups Sound Dull in the Bridge - 1986 Charvel Model 3a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    IMO the invader is not right at all for something with a full basswood body.
    If I was picking an ideal guitar to try an invader it would be something like a MIJ floyded Jackson dinky-pro(maple bolt-on and alder body w/ebony)

Had an Invader set once on a Jackson RR3, poplar body, bolt-on maple neck, rosewood board, JT580LP trem. Stellar tones for high gain.

Not my current flavour of tone, though...
    Last edited by Synapsys; 09-23-2020, 12:24 PM.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD MH-1000HS (TB-15/Lil59n), ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HX FX & Stomp, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

Comment

Hi Evolvist ! I have a 1968 basswood Charvel model 3 (made in Nagano I suppose) and I know what you are talking about. As it is my only basswood guitar (all others are either alder, mahogany or ash) I thought it is because of the body wood (?). This axe is OK for hi-gain but if you happen to play a Fender or a Gibson just before this one in the same rig you will see it lacks something comparatively. But the neck of these guitars is cool.

I noticed the Duncan SSL-5 sounded quite nice in the middle position on this guitar (and enjoyed it with fuzz).
      I saw on the internet that someone even put SSL-5 on a Charvel model 3 in both the neck and middle positions (although SSL-5 are not meant for the neck) and was happy with that.

In the bridge position I have a ToneZone that I will swap some day.

There have been thread in the past about which HB could sound great in these guitars. I remember the main recommendations were : Screaming Demon, Full Shred and SH-6 Distortion. Choose according to your style.

I'll try th Full Shred some day. It was meant to "brighten guitars that lack definition" according to SD website.
      Last edited by Francois; 09-20-2020, 06:20 AM.
      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

This may be absurdly simple, but they're not hard to find or expensive. Just add the preamp to the 3a.

Comment

Charvel model 3A body sounded AWESOME on a partscaster build I did with a bridge Duncan JB

I had brass saddles on the trem too... still awesome, nice bite.

Also trIed a Super 70 from the parts box there...also ripped.

PS try direct wiring bridge pup to jack to test if you're wondering about bad pots
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Well…

…it has not been said above that the presence of brass roller saddles was a problem per se. I've stated that IME it might behave as a sound softener in Khaler trems, with their materials and/or structure (and even when they are set in a certain way)… it’s just my experience and YMMV but there's food for thought about that elsewhere:
            https://www.whammyparts.com/faq/174-kahler-different-metal-tones

It hasn’t been claimed either that basswood was systematically dull: IMO, every chunk of wood is susceptible to “sound” different – and many tinkerers might have the feeling that necks impact the tone more than bodies, anyway...

…Of course, the problem might be elsewhere than in trems and woods… But must we think that a guitar set by a “well respected luthier” would still host bad pots?...

Not claiming it’s impossible. Just asking…

Now, here is something else to consider possibly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcccjtTWtiI

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

A 1986 Charvel needs a JB.
              “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Working...
              X