banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best neck HB match for SH-12 screamin‘ Demon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best neck HB match for SH-12 screamin‘ Demon?

what are/were you using with the demon in the Bridge and why?
    Last edited by ToneFiddler; 09-19-2020, 07:06 AM.

I used a stock demon in the neck with a A8 demon in the Bridge, but a Jazz neck was the better match.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I think the Full Shred neck would go best with the Demon's bright and tight tone but I guess someone could want a warmer more contrasting tone.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

At one time I had one paired with a Jazz.

Comment

I use a Screamin Demon in the neck with it in the bridge too. Yes. It works. It’s a great neck pickup too. Try it. I installed in the same orientation as the bridge. Sounds great. No balance issues.

Comment

wow, great suggestions! (as i hoped)
            Thank you all!

i have a jazz in another guitar so i give that a go with the next string change. sounds kind of bland in that one anyway.

fullshred is a great idea that i didn't consider before. i never owned that PU, but that might very well be a great fit and that guitar has a really big and deep bass which is great for the bridge but troubling on the neck. but i plan on at least a second guitar with the demon in the bridge, so it doesn't have to be specifically for that guitar only.

demon Neck, demon bridge is also interesting. wanted to try the demon in the neck anyway since some folks here rave about it.
            i don't want to mag swap the bridge because it sounds perfect to my ears, but maybe an A3 or A4 in the neck if it's too overpowering for me, but first i'll try it stock.

did somebody try the hybrid (59/jazz) or the sentient?

Comment

I have a Gibson Explorer. After a lot of pickup swaps I liked the Jazz pickup in the neck position with the screamin demom in the Bridge position and adjusting all 12 (fillister & allen head) poll piece screws on the demon. The allen head screws" arced " to match the fretboard radius and the filister screws "staggered " height. I had the demon in the neck position at on time. it worked but it was not what I liked. To me the jazz is all most a standard in the neck position and go's well with many bridge pickups of different magnets and outputs. The guitar can be a factor the wood and model. the nut material also and type of bridge steel, aluminum, brass. same with the end piece if its a tune o matic set up. If I do the same set up with my Les Paul it sounds different but not what I like. My Les Paul has a "chambered out" body. it's light weight. The JB sounds great in the bridge. like old school Aerosmith toys in the attic. The JB on my explorer was a little hard to tame. Trial and error come with a price of buying new pickups. I need the Duncan liberator 500K potentiometer.

Comment

I'd go with the 59, as it has more bass than the Jazz, and slightly more mids. I think it would balance with the Demon's, um...Demon-ness. It would be great with all levels of gain without being piercing, like the Jazz can be sometimes.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

my les paul is kind of a boat anker. sounds great unplugged and amplified with the right bridge PU.
                  is not honky or overly mid dominant like a lot of other LPs.
                  sounds very full to me because no frequencies are overbearing beside maybe the lowend.

the 59n is whats in there right now.
                  i have it tilted and very low on the bass side(ring level) still i think the 5th and 6th string are too woofy.
                  in general it’s very woody in there which is not bad but not what i am looking for. maybe something more aggressive, shreddy, singing?
                  i am always stoked with the bridge sound, the neck is definitely far from perfect in comparison

Comment

Put an A4 in that 59n.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Some really good suggestions so far. I really love the Demon in the neck. I also really love the Jazz in the neck. Both of those give a very even tonal response, and are clean and clear. I'm also a fan of the Pearly in the neck...it has a character to it but it usually sounds great with just about any bridge pup. I've not tried the Full Shred, but it is probably a good choice if you want a bright, thin neck sound. I'm not a big fan of the 59 in the neck mainly because of the uneven EQ...heavy on the highs and bass but thin in the mids. For me, that kind of eq is hard to balance in the neck where I prefer to have a more even eq.

Others have said that the Jazz and the Demon are very bright, but I don't necessarily see that, although it can seem that way depending on the bridge pup and amp settings. I find those two pups as having a very even eq which makes them so easy to to adjust amp settings and they play very well with most bridge pups...especially a Demon.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Another one that may work well is the Whole Lotta Humbucker neck. It's a bright neck pickup but more mids than the 59. I like it better than the 59. Now, I have not used it with the Demon in the bridge but I do have it with the Perpetual Burn in the bridge and they work really well together. It's been a few weeks that I've been using it but so far I really like it. And it splits well too. Another option to look in to if anything else.

The woof of the 59 can be eliminated easily enough by putting a cap in series with the pickup hot wire to the switch. ArtieToo shared that some time ago. A cheap easy fix if that is all that you are struggling with.

Comment

Working...
                        X