DiMarzio Evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Evolution

Love it? Hate it? Thinking about picking up a Evolution to put in an ESP LTD Viper with basswood body, but first I was wondering if there is a Duncan that's similar in tone? The guitar is usually in drop C. Mostly looking for more mids in this guitar and sustain that also cleans up nicely.
    Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 09-19-2020, 07:30 AM.

i'm not 100% but i thought someone here was saying recently that the full shred would be the closest thing in the duncan line. i used an evolution set for years in a flying v. it definitely has mids.
    Quality riffs in about a minute...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
      i'm not 100% but i thought someone here was saying recently that the full shred would be the closest thing in the duncan line.
      I read that too. I don't know how true it is though.

Comment

me neither, i've never tried the FS and it's been years since i used an evolution!
        Quality riffs in about a minute...
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Had a couple Evos in guitars and they are not bad. Very tight have good cut for solos and in Basswood work very well. The Full Shread is not similar would be closer to a Custom.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

What about a Black Winter? The neck is stock and I have no plans changing it.

Comment

I like the 7-string version of the Evolution better than the 6-string version. The 7-string version has a fiber baseplate and shorter pole screws which makes it sound tighter than the 6-string version. The 6-string version has a muddy low midrange due to the brass baseplate. Changing it to a silver-steel baseplate improves its clarity. There really isn't anything in the SD lineup that sounds the same. The closest is a Full Shred with an alnico 8 magnet. Both pickups have the same growly output but the emphasis is opposite for the two. The Full Shred is treble centered while the Evolution has a big bass response.

Comment

They are decent but I far prefer the Gravity Storm set and the Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker (I have liquifire but actually I should have gotten the rainmaker) sets. GS is warm and extremely versatile, DC is thick and dark. Evolution is a bit less organic all around.

Comment

I find the original Evo a bit... harsh on the bridge, muddy on the neck.
                  The Evo 2 is a bit more mid-rangy and the PAF Pro (on the neck) cleans up the mud a bit better.

Guitarist - The Crew & Demon Dagger

Comment

Black Winter bridge is as close as you'll get to the Evo, but the Evo is still different. People mention the Full Shred for its feel and tighter response, but it's really nothing like the Evo tonally.

Personally, I think the original Evo is excellent for heavy rock and metal. Because of its age and association with Steve Vai, it gets overlooked, but there's a whole generation of new players who would find the old-school Evo suits their requirements of a tight, punchy and articulate lead pickup.

The Evo 2 is a little tamer, but not by much. Personally, I'd choose the older Evo first and only move to the Evo 2 if I felt the original was a little "too much".
                    Last edited by Masta' C; 09-19-2020, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post
                      Love it? Hate it? Thinking about picking up a Evolution to put in an ESP LTD Viper with basswood body, but first I was wondering if there is a Duncan that's similar in tone? The guitar is usually in drop C. Mostly looking for more mids in this guitar and sustain that also cleans up nicely.
                      I found the evo 2 to be a much better sounding model
                      Excellent deals with,
                      Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
                      Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
                      slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
                      guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
                      51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
                      king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post
                        The original Evo is bright and upper mid-rangy. It's not a warm, dark, FAT kind of mid range. It's an aggressive, present tone. There is a TON of clarity for a high-output pickup, for better or for worse, as its not a forgiving pickup. It is anything but mellow sounding, and some people think the sizzle sounds harsh. I used one for years in an LP, and in an RG

It's hot, and it for sure cuts through, but I don't think this is the pickup for you if you was to roll the volume back and clean up. In fact, that's supposedly one of the reasons Vai wanted to make the Evo2 - to have something that would clean up a bit better. The original Evo won't do perrrty sounding, bluesy cleans for you. It's biting, distorted aggression__PRESENT
                        Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                        Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                        Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                        Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                        Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                        Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                        Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                        Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                        Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                        PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Working...
                        X