banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jazz neck with 250k/300k pots vs 59 neck with 500k pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz neck with 250k/300k pots vs 59 neck with 500k pots?

Would a Jazz neck with 300k volume pots sound similar to a 59 with 500k pots? I'm looking for a clear neck humbucker and was thinking of the 59. But I fear it will sound too dark/bassy with the stock 300k volume pots in my Les Paul. I don't really want to swap the pots because I want to do as little soldering as possible. If a Jazz with the stock 300k pots will sound pretty much the same as a 59 with 500k pots, I'll go that route. I'm thinking of a JB or Distortion in the bridge, which should work well with 300k pots and the Jazz in the neck.

Has anyone compared a Jazz neck with 250k/300k pots with a 59 neck with 500k pots?

I haven't compared the 2 setups but I used to run a Jazz neck with 250k pots in my jazz guitar. Wide open it would still have its brightness. The Jazz is tighter and less boomy than the 59 so that should work. They're similar but voiced differently so it won't quite sound the same.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

When I listen to side by side comparisons, the Jazz sounds like a 59 with a bit more treble and a little less low end. I thought a lower value pot would make the Jazz sound more or less like the 59, that's why I asked.

Comment

I don't think a lower value pot would change the overall character of the Jazz. Just use the tone control, that will change the sound the most.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by cokekolev View Post
          When I listen to side by side comparisons, the Jazz sounds like a 59 with a bit more treble and a little less low end. I thought a lower value pot would make the Jazz sound more or less like the 59, that's why I asked.
          I understand what you're saying. I think if you're looking to get a certain eq, you'll probably achieve that. Just saying if I were comparing the 2 I'd still hear the difference in the voicing even though they're both scooped and slick.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Put a cap inline with the 59 to lower the 'boom', or put an A4 in the 59. Alternatively, Whole Lotta Humbucker neck, Seth neck or Pearly Gates neck would be other options.

Comment

Working...
            X