banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticky for list of Duncans that are the same wind with different magnets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
    The Black Winter looks a little sus to me, too.
    The wire insulation is clearly different. The JB and the Distortion both have the standard copper-y-looking one, and the Black Winter has bright red insulation.

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
      years back frank falbo confirmed the jazz neck and the full shred neck were not the same wind
      This is true. I did this while I was an employee so it can be considered canon. At the time, as well as now, I've always been of the opinion that the company should have the right to trade secrets. Now that I haven't worked there for some years (and to make matters more complicated I work for a competitor) I still believe that to be the case. So what I do is sometimes I confirm (or correct) statements that people make, but only based on information that has been shared before by Duncan employees, whether myself during my employment, or by others.

In this case, yes I had felt it was important to make people know that the FS neck isn't the same wind as the Jazz. But we at some point confirmed that the Full Shred bridge is part of the Custom wind family. And if anything, it's a testimonial to how "dialed in" that Custom wind is, that it can be used for all the Custom magnet swaps AND the Full Shred's very different magnetic circuit, and have such distinctly different and usable sounds between them all.

The A2Pro/Jazz thing was already confirmed, neck and bridge, and then of course that the A2Pro Slash is completely unique, different kind of wire even. That's all stuff we said when it was launched.

For the others, I heard through the grapevine that someone from the company had confirmed the answer on the JB/Distortion/Invader but I have not seen it first hand, so I still remain silent on that. I must admit watching people on both sides of that argument act like they are 100% convinced that they either are, or are not the same wind has me chuckling sometimes. Obviously only one answer can be true, but furthermore passive wire wound pickups have like a 5% tolerance at least. So unless/until someone wants to do what Seymour did back in the day, and physically unwind some coils taking notes at every turn, you can't say you know. My advice for everyone on both sides is to argue the point like you might be wrong, and be prepared to be wrong haha.

Comment

I've always been of the opinion that, as long as it sounds good to the person using it, who cares whether or not one pickup's wind is exactly the same as another with only the magnet being different?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I think it was originally in the context of magnet swapping to get other models. The idea was that since the Custom was like that, what if all other SD pickups were just a few different coils with the magnets swapped? Turns out, that's not the case at all.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

But it is fun. My wife doesn’t let me out much. :-)

Comment

Well magnet swapping, I think, started with people just experimenting. I don't think anyone was trying to find a secret formula as much as a new sound different that what they had, without spending a lot of money.
              I don't recall the making of hybrids anything other than people just experimenting at first. Maybe they stumbled on something and wanted confirmation, but I think the initial drive was just curiosity.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Well magnet swapping, I think, started with people just experimenting. I don't think anyone was trying to find a secret formula as much as a new sound different that what they had, without spending a lot of money.
                I don't recall the making of hybrids anything other than people just experimenting at first. Maybe they stumbled on something and wanted confirmation, but I think the initial drive was just curiosity.
                Right, you were a member in the old days when the C5 was something we had to build because it wasn't offered. The reception was warm enough SD made it a standard offering.

I also remember the MONSTER BachToRock thread about Hybrids and SD saw the desire was there for that pickup and decided to make it. That thread was around the better part of 10yrs I think.

Lucas
                “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
                X