banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which combo would you say have the biggest tonal variety ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which combo would you say have the biggest tonal variety ?

Which one of these would you say have the bigger tonal sound scape ?

Think Gibson LP Studio . . . all mahogany body, no Maple cap, for Classic Rock and early era-Soundgarden.

1) Pearly Gates [B] / A2P [N]
    2) Jazz [B] / A2P [N]
    3) '59 [B] / A2P [N]

Thanks all
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

So to me Soundgarden does not have a bright sound, so the 1 would be out for me, plus I dont like the PG, never listened to the Jazz bridge, so I cant comment on that, which leaves #3 which would be my choice. I think any of those work fine for classic rock, but to me SG had a darker sound not bright and open like the PG.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
      So to me Soundgarden does not have a bright sound, so the 1 would be out for me, plus I dont like the PG, never listened to the Jazz bridge, so I cant comment on that, which leaves #3 which would be my choice. I think any of those work fine for classic rock, but to me SG had a darker sound not bright and open like the PG.
      Thanks Hsb.

So you think the PG has an 'open & bright' sound, compared to the others ?

Comment

Yeah I tried the PG years ago and it didnt suit me at all. I havent tried the 59 but from the clips Ive heard, I like that one better, esp for the SG, if it was just classic rock, PG would probably work. But SG had a darker warmer feel than what you would get from the PG
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I'll go with 2. The Jazz and Alnico II Pro are sort of EQ opposites.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

#1 would be wider sound possibilities for me - Pearly/A2P. I've used all those set ups in my Studio LP. However, #2 the Jazz B / A2P N would be better sounding all around in an all mahogany LP

Comment

Tough question. But I love those Pearly's. A bit of "bite" while remaining versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I'll go with 2. The Jazz and Alnico II Pro are sort of EQ opposites.
                . . . ahhhh, good to now . . . thanks Mincer

Comment

Yeah I tried the PG years ago and it didnt suit me at all. I havent tried the 59 but from the clips Ive heard, I like that one better, esp for the SG, if it was just classic rock, PG would probably work. But SG had a darker warmer feel than what you would get from the PG
                  May i ask, what you did not like about the PG, way back then ?
                  What were you looking for, that the PG did not offer ?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    #1 would be wider sound possibilities for me - Pearly/A2P.
                    I've used all those set ups in my Studio LP.
                    However, #2 the Jazz B / A2P N would be better sounding all around in an all mahogany LP
                    Can you elaborate on the Jazz / A2P statement . . . if you do not mind

Comment

For me, a roughcast A3 magnet in the neck and roughcast A2 in the bridge of a set of Duncan 59's or Antiquitys.

I get beautiful, chimey, jazzy clean tones from the neck and the bluesy or overdriven tones from the bridge.

And the two pickups sound wonderful combined.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                        For me, a roughcast A3 magnet in the neck and roughcast A2 in the bridge of a set of Duncan 59's or Antiquitys.

I get beautiful, chimey, jazzy clean tones from the neck and the bluesy or overdriven tones from the bridge.

And the two pickups sound wonderful combined.
                        Thanks Lew

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

May i ask, what you did not like about the PG, way back then ?
                          What were you looking for, that the PG did not offer ?
                          It was way to bright for my tastes. At the time, being young and stupid back in the early 90s, my local shop said hey put this in, you will sound like Billy Gibnons, duhh ok... Thats how I ended up with the PG
                          Jackson Soloist 7 string
                          ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

Can you elaborate on the Jazz / A2P statement . . . if you do not mind
                            To me, the Jazz bridge is a better all-around bridge for rock and roll from the 60's, 70's, some 80's, and much of the 90's and 2000's, compared to a Pearly IME. They are close and both good, but the Jazz just hit the spot for me. Mine are a little softer on the top end than the Pearly, and just seem slightly more even. My Pearly bridges have bright top end and some low thump to them, which is great for certain things. The Jazz isn't so 'wide' sounding and seems to hit the spot for all kinds of distorted/grit/crunchy/clean rock. A2P is just a classic PAF-ish neck. A little bit too round for me, could use more brightness, but would work well. The A2P is a Jazz neck with an A2 mag, so it has some relationship.

Comment

It was way to bright for my tastes. At the time, being young and stupid back in the early 90s, my local shop said hey put this in, you will sound like Billy Gibbons, duhh ok... That's how I ended up with the PG
                              HAHAHAHA . . . fair enough !

Comment

Working...
                              X