banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which combo would you say have the biggest tonal variety ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

To me, the Jazz bridge is a better all-around bridge for rock and roll from the 60's, 70's, some 80's, and much of the 90's and 2000's, compared to a Pearly IME. They are close and both good, but the Jazz just hit the spot for me. Mine are a little softer on the top end than the Pearly, and just seem slightly more even. My Pearly bridges have bright top end and some low thump to them, which is great for certain things. The Jazz isn't so 'wide' sounding and seems to hit the spot for all kinds of distorted/grit/crunchy/clean rock. A2P is just a classic PAF-ish neck. A little bit too round for me, could use more brightness, but would work well. The A2P is a Jazz neck with an A2 mag, so it has some relationship.
    GREAT info . . . thank you very much !!!
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

Of the ones you listed, I'd say 59s. I haven't played an all mahogany LP, but I disliked A2 magnet pickups in my SG. I didn't try the ones you listed, but they were in the same ballpark. Pickups with A4 or A5 magnets seemed to balance the natural mid-heavy tone of the guitar better. This is, of course, a generalized statement. I'm aware that pickups can be wound in many, many ways, and my ears/gear/preferences are different than yours. Be sure to buy from an authorized dealer so you can return them if they don't fit what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post

It was way to bright for my tastes. At the time, being young and stupid back in the early 90s, my local shop said hey put this in, you will sound like Billy Gibnons, duhh ok... Thats how I ended up with the PG
        i mean, plug that guitar into a nmv marshall and turn it up and youll get a really good billy gibbons tone

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

i mean, plug that guitar into a nmv marshall and turn it up and youll get a really good billy gibbons tone
          Early 20s and no clue what I wanted in a sounds, sounded good to me.
          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400
          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Working...
          X