No announcement yet.

Medium output humbucker with BIG mids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medium output humbucker with BIG mids?

I love the voicing of the JB, it's thick and honky like a "fuzzy violin", but it's so hot that it squashes all the dynamics.

I was suggested to lower the pickup, but it's already screwed all the way into the body and lowering it even more would also result in a loss of clarity etc.

So my idea is to find a pickup with a lot of mids like the JB, but with a more mellow output

suggestions? thanks!
    Last edited by Reee; 09-25-2020, 06:30 PM.

You can try wiring it in parallel, but it might just be too hot for what you want. The JB is what it is. Maybe a Perpetual Burn instead?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      You can try wiring it in parallel, but it might just be too hot for what you want. The JB is what it is. Maybe a Perpetual Burn instead?

i've watched all the clips of the PB on youtube and it sounds like a very scooped pickup to me

Comment

Maybe, I've never tried one, of course the scooped could also be due to how the people recording the videos set their amps.
        I'll invite anyone with actual experience with the pickup to chime in.

Comment

Rio Grande BBQ is very middy and not as hot as a JB, although it has a lot of power. It's voiced stronger in the low mids than the JB tho. maybe something like the WLH, Slash, or a 78?
          Quality riffs in about a minute...
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Distortion neck, hybrid the JB with a cooler coil.
            Last edited by Clint 55; 09-25-2020, 07:32 PM.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Slash

Comment

Get a Custom Custom, and stop looking. It is exactly what you are looking for.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For the same basic tonal character, but less output, I would mag swap before anything else. Try A3.

I put an A3 in a Gibson 500T, and it did exactly that: lowered the output, but kept the e.q. the same. More dynamic pickup, but still very warmly wound.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Mincer is right. Custom Custom is what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post
                      I love the voicing of the JB, it's thick and honky like a "fuzzy violin", but it's so hot that it squashes all the dynamics.

I was suggested to lower the pickup, but it's already screwed all the way into the body and lowering it even more would also result in a loss of clarity etc.

So my idea is to find a pickup with a lot of mids like the JB, but with a more mellow output

suggestions? thanks!
                      Custom Custom is also what came to my mind spontaneously. Lots of mids to expect with A2 and such a high inductance (7H with a CC vs 7.8H for the JB).

Now and as a side note...

-if you wire a JB in parallel, it will make it kinda Filter'tron'ish (since the DCR and inductance will drop from 16.4k and 7.8H to 25% of these values, roughly). Been there, done that. I used a JB in parallel for sparkling clean tones back in the days;

-BUT what happens if you wire it in parallel AND if you add a 2,2 nanofarad capacitor from hot to ground, in parallel with it? The JB in parallel will sound a lot closer to a JB in series, a wee bit thinner but still with much mids and with a lowered output (-5.4dB @ resonance);

-if ever you want to try that: a 2,2 nanofarad capacitor costs a few cents and can be tested from hot to ground in a few seconds thanks to a pair of alligator clips.

-such "alternative" wirings with parallel caps are something that I mount in guitars for decades.. So this idea is not "theoretical" (even if a small cheap cap paired with a PU is not quite the same than a new PU, of course).

Whatever is your choice, good luck in your quest...
                      Last edited by freefrog; 09-26-2020, 12:52 AM.
                      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

JB has a pretty distinctive voicing, which seems to persist regardless of mag swaps or height adjustments.

Most pickups exhibit an altered tone character with different magnets. A JB always seems to sound like a JB, no matter what.

As suggested upthread, I'd try a weaker magnet before buying a different pickup.

Custom Custom was the first thing that sprang to mind for me too - but it really isn't much like a JB.
                        The thick/honky thing that the OP likes is pretty distinctive, the JB's trademark tone.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

As previously mentioned, the Custom Custom would work fine.
                          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

can you guys post some clips of the custom custom that you think sound good? i've been looking on youtube and nothing really stands out to me, seems like the CC is a very polite pickup, that must be the lack of highs from using A2
                            Last edited by Reee; 09-26-2020, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I think the Screamin Demon or 59/Custom Hybrid are closer to what i have in mind, still lots of clarity from the A5 but a lot of mids and aggression and not too much output!

Comment

Working...
                              X