No announcement yet.

Medium output humbucker with BIG mids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like ceramic pickups either, which is why I swap alnicos in.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 09-29-2020, 02:26 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      I don't like ceramic pickups either, which is why I swap alnicos in.
      that's intriguing! do you have any clips of how a SH-6 neck sounds in the bridge with A5?

Comment

I only have my delux Distortion neck/JB hybrid that I made. But I think you can hear the effect from the less compressed and differently voiced DDn coil.

Last edited by Clint 55; 09-29-2020, 11:57 PM.
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

The Hybrid is, but just in power. The EQ is very close to the 59, without the upper mids of the JB.
          I disagree , A Custom 5 would be a higher output 59 with the same EQ and no upper mids .
          The Hybrid gets it's upper mids from the over wound 43g coil , mix that with the 42g regular 59 coil and that's where you get the upper mids ..
          It's just not the same upper mids as a JB because of the winding .

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post

I disagree , A Custom 5 would be a higher output 59 with the same EQ and no upper mids .
            The Hybrid gets it's upper mids from the over wound 43g coil , mix that with the 42g regular 59 coil and that's where you get the upper mids ..
            that's interesting! FWIW i think the custom 5 is cool on paper but it sounds kinda grainy and stiff to my ears, my charvel came with it originally and i was never really a fan of it, it's too hot, too undefined, too stiff, it doesn't remind me of the 59 at all, the 59 is spongy, crystal clear/crisp etc.

from what i can tell from youtube clips the Hybrid sounds like a 59 with more mids and the slightly harder edge of the custom but it still has the clarity and sponginess of the 59

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

that's interesting! FWIW i think the custom 5 is cool on paper but it sounds kinda grainy and stiff to my ears, my charvel came with it originally and i was never really a fan of it, it's too hot, too undefined, too stiff, it doesn't remind me of the 59 at all, the 59 is spongy, crystal clear/crisp etc.

from what i can tell from youtube clips the Hybrid sounds like a 59 with more mids and the slightly harder edge of the custom but it still has the clarity and sponginess of the 59
              I have the Hybrid/59 and a unpotted 59N in my Custom Built Mahogany Tele Deluxe and the Hybrid/59 has the mid high bark in it , it's just not slapping your face like the JB does .
              I recently took out the Antiquity JB in the bridge , tried the Custom 5 , put a 59B back in , then took it out and settled on the Hybrid/59 for now .
              You could definitely hear the increased mids in the Hybrid/59 over any 59 build any day of the week .
              Last edited by JB6464; 10-01-2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post

Interesting. Absolutely not how I hear it. The C5 has almost no mids. The 59 and the regular Custom have almost the same EQ, but different power levels. The Hybrid retains more true mids than a C5, though. Neither pickup has 'big mids' like the OP wants, though.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Interesting. Absolutely not how I hear it. The C5 has almost no mids. The 59 and the regular Custom have almost the same EQ, but different power levels. The Hybrid retains more true mids than a C5, though. Neither pickup has 'big mids' like the OP wants, though.
                  I can"t see how a 59 and a Custom have almost the same EQ when they use different magnets , wire and not to mention the winding difference of a 8k to 13k pickup .
                  A Ceramic mag sounds nothing like an A5 even in the same pickup , I tried that by the way in a 59 .
                  I definitely can hear an EQ difference between a 59 and Custom .

As for the Hybrid , maybe different wood that's used in guitars bring out the mids and highs more .
                  Mahogany , Maple , Alder , Ash and so forth don't sound the same to start with ,
                  so a pickup can sound totally different depending on what wood you are using and what tone your after to start with .
                  Last edited by JB6464; 10-01-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I just put it down to different people hear different things.

Comment

i'm not sure if it is big mids i'm after per se, just bigger mids than a 59 because that one is way too scooped for my tastes, and i'd like a good bit more output as well but not so much that it kills dynamics

Comment

i'm not sure if it is big mids i'm after per se, just bigger mids than a 59 because that one is way too scooped for my tastes, and i'd like a good bit more output as well but not so much that it kills dynamics
                        Which is why I suggested a UOA5 for the 59. It will definitely have more mids than a regular 59 while still keeping the same character.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

In this case, anything hotter than the Hybrid, and you start to hear the compression kick in. A boost or EQ pedal might work here, too

Comment

In this case, anything hotter than the Hybrid, and you start to hear the compression kick in. A boost or EQ pedal might work here, too
                            I tried boosting, overdrive and mid-heavy EQ but there's only so much that can do, i think the hybrid will suit me well.

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            Which is why I suggested a UOA5 for the 59. It will definitely have more mids than a regular 59 while still keeping the same character.

it would still not be hot enough

Comment

I'm curious what you thought of the tone in my clip.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

I tried boosting, overdrive and mid-heavy EQ but there's only so much that can do, i think the hybrid will suit me well.

it would still not be hot enough
                                Then by all means go with the Hybrid. From what I've heard of it, it's a good pickup. Of course, you could still try a magnet swap if it's not quite right. In which case my recommendation stands.

Comment

Working...
                                X