Charvel So Cal bridge pickup choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel So Cal bridge pickup choices?

My So Cal currently has a JB, but I'm just not feeling it. It's hard to describe it in words. I'm considering either swapping an A2 magnet in it, trying a Custom, or a Custom Custom. Before I get lost in this rabbit hole, I'm curious to hear what you guys think would work best. I mainly play classic to hard rock. Heaviest being AIC or early VH tones.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

all of those would sound good, it all depends what you don't like about the JB and what you want out of the new pickup. If you buy a used Custom and an A2 magnet (or a CC and a ceramic) you could try all 3 on the cheap.
    Quality riffs in about a minute...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

The 59/custom hybrid would be a good fit too.

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
        all of those would sound good, it all depends what you don't like about the JB and what you want out of the new pickup. If you buy a used Custom and an A2 magnet (or a CC and a ceramic) you could try all 3 on the cheap.
        Yep, I do have a Custom already. Also have all the different types of magnets, including A8.

Comment

I would actually wait on swapping until you can define what you don't like about the JB. Too hot? Too compressed? An EQ issue? Then you can make a better choice when replacing it.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's definitely something about the EQ. It seems kinda harsh and grinding in this guitar. That's the best way I can describe it.

Comment

OK, that's a start. The Custom varieties don't have that harsh upper mid thing. Magnet swapping on a JB doesn't seem to cure it either.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Funny, a few weeks ago I made a thread about finding a pickup for an Ibanez. It had a JB and I wasn’t feeling it either.
                I tried a Super distortion and a Breed. Ultimately I swapped an A8 into the JB and it worked perfectly for me.
                Smoothed our that harshness in that particular guitar and tightened the low end up nicely as well.

I also have a Custom 8 in a LP and it’s glorious.

Comment

Working...
                X