Single Coil String Spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Coil String Spacing

I just saw, and now can’t un-see, the string spacing my my APS-2 neck pickup is way off. The low E pole piece is almost entirely outside the string. I took a quick measurement and sure enough the spacing is about 52mm.

Does SD make 50mm spaced neck single coils? Why make humbuckers line up, but not singles? I realize tone is not necessarily compromised, but my God, the misalignment is U.G.L.Y. .

For what it’s worth my bridge is 2 1/8”, and my nut is 1 11/16”.

Do you hear a sonic difference with the poles missing the strings? BTW, this sounds like a perfect reason to use rail-based pickups.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think the guitar sounds great. However, I'm nowhere good enough to know whether it makes a difference or not. I do know it's ugly and confuses me why it's important enough for humbuckers to be different sizes, but not single coils.

Here's a not so great pic. Straight on it looks really bad.

Comment

frequently the poles dont line up, but no duncan doesnt make a production narrow single coil pole piece spacing. i dont notice a balance issue on any of mine though

Comment

I suppose a solid cover would fix that issue, too.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The vibrational arc of the strings at the neck is wide enough that a slight misalignment shouldn't cause too much difference.

Comment

looks to me like the neck is either tilted to one side, the nut is unsymmetrical or the neck pu is not centered.

Comment

Working...
              X