banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried the EVH Wolfgang humbucker set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried the EVH Wolfgang humbucker set?

The real ones...not the Indonesian imports.

The reviews all seem to be raves and they sound killer in the demos I've watched

They're pricey. $300 for a set.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

What are the specs on those?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        What are the specs on those?

Here's a thread I found here: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...g-pickup-specs

Comment

Are these as hot as the DCR would lead you to believe?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Are these as hot as the DCR would lead you to believe?
            I don't know. That's why I asked. The pickups in my Axis are hotter in terms of DCR than any other humbuckers I own, yet they clean up when I lower the guitar's volume control very well. Eddie knows what he's doing. I read that the EVH pickups use 250K pots. But I only read it. Doesn't mean it's true.

Comment

I have them, in my EVH striped, and put them in a few guitars. I also have an EBMM Axis.

They sound very close to the EBMM Dimarzios, just a tad hotter, better for going straight into an amp than the EBMM, which are a bit more articulate but thinner sounding.

I had a Slash set in my Les Paul Custom but felt the bridge was thin. I tried an EVH Wolfgang Bridge, any tonally, and output wise it matches very well with the Slash neck.

IMO the aftermarket $150 ones sound better than the ones they put in the Striped series, even though they’re supposed to be the same. The stock pickup in my EVH stripe squealed, I needed to wax pot it, I’ve had no issue with the aftermarket ones.

They’re overall great well balanced pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                I read that the EVH pickups use 250K pots. But I only read it. Doesn't mean it's true.
                According to the specs on evhgear.com, the guitars have 500K volume and 250K tone. That's a great setup. I've been using 250K for tone pots myself. Has a better response, IME.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
                  I have them, in my EVH striped, and put them in a few guitars. I also have an EBMM Axis.

They sound very close to the EBMM Dimarzios, just a tad hotter, better for going straight into an amp than the EBMM, which are a bit more articulate but thinner sounding.

I had a Slash set in my Les Paul Custom but felt the bridge was thin. I tried an EVH Wolfgang Bridge, any tonally, and output wise it matches very well with the Slash neck.

IMO the aftermarket $150 ones sound better than the ones they put in the Striped series, even though they’re supposed to be the same. The stock pickup in my EVH stripe squealed, I needed to wax pot it, I’ve had no issue with the aftermarket ones.

They’re overall great well balanced pickups
                  I love the pickups in my EBMM Axis.

First DiMarzios and first high output pickups I've felt that way about.

I'm more of a paf lover than high output lover.

I don't find the pickups in my Axis to be thin at all!

But maybe that's because I like real pafs and Duncan Antiquitys so much.

Anyways, my interest in the EVH Wolfgangs is because the pickups in my Axis are not available as an aftermarket pickup and I'd like to try them in one of my PRS guitars.

Comment

Well, if it matters, Lew, the closest pickups in the DiMarzio line to those B1 and N1 pickups in your Axis are the Tone Zone and the Air Norton. I prefer the Air Zone over the Tone Zone but both are great pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                      Well, if it matters, Lew, the closest pickups in the DiMarzio line to those B1 and N1 pickups in your Axis are the Tone Zone and the Air Norton. I prefer the Air Zone over the Tone Zone but both are great pickups.
                      Right. But they're not identical.

Comment

Right. But they're not identical.
                        Not quite, no, but really really close.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

Not quite, no, but really really close.
                          And you can get them in double cream. lol

Comment

And you can get them in double cream. lol
                            Yup. I'm more of a zebra or all black. I have double cream Super Distortions in my Dean ML Chicago Standard but that's because it came with them.

Comment

Working...
                            X