Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a bridge pick up to match a SD P90 in my tele

Hello everyone,

I have a SD Vintage P90 installed in my telecaster (neck position) and the stock MIM Standard tele pickup in the bridge.

I love the P90 and the sounds I can get with it, however, when switching to the bridge pup... You can feel the difference.

I don't know a lot about pickups so I don't know which one would be a good match. The thing is that I don't want to lose the classic tele clean tone, but I also want something more powerful so when I switch between pups, it doesn't look like you are playing two different guitars.

I came across the SD Broadcaster, do you think it would be a good option? They other pick ups that I have in mind are the Lollar Special T and the Bare Knuckle Flat 50.

Recommendations are welcome!

Thank you!

welcome to the forum!

a p90 has a good amount of output and in the neck, even more so. i have a broadcaster in the bridge of a strat right now (thanks artie) and im loving it. if you have the p90 low and the broadcaster high, it may work. for the price of a bare knuckle you could get the custom shop to wind you something to suit you perfectly

Comment

Broadcaster is vintage tele. More powerful will be less Tele clean. You're going to have to accept some kind of trade off, but there are many options. Custom shop might have some of the better options for what you are describing, like Pearly Gates for tele, BG1400, 53 ttapped tele and 5/2 stack tele. I haven't used these however as I prefer vintage tele in the bridges of mine.

Comment

the '53 tapped tele is hands down my favorite tele bridge pup. 6.6k tap is vintage output and spanky, the 9.6k is thick and meaty but still sounds like a tele

Comment

Hi guys, thank you for the taking the time ro respond!

jeremy I thought about ordering a custom shop one, but I live in Europe and I'm agraid the shipping and the taxes will increase the price a lot :/ do you know if any other SD pickup could do the trick? The output of the P90 is 8k si isn't that hot, right? That's why I thought the broadcaster could be a good option as it's 8k. Maybe I should try to lower the P90 a bit more...

beaubrummels thank you for your response. Yup I know that I will have to sacrify some cleaness but I also don't want to put something too hot, just something balanced. As I said, unfortunately I live in Europe so ordering a custom shop would be too expensive... I also want to avoid any kind of humbucker alike pickup. Maybe I'm asking for too much lol

Comment

8k for a p90 is fairly typical but especially in the neck, thats a pretty loud pup. the broadcaster is 8k but the construction of the two pups is quite different and the physical placement of the neck vs bridge pup makes a very big difference. as i said, the broadcaster might work if you adjust the pup heights. the flat 50 is like 10k i think so as much as i love duncan, that might be a better fit output wise

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              8k for a p90 is fairly typical but especially in the neck, thats a pretty loud pup. the broadcaster is 8k but the construction of the two pups is quite different and the physical placement of the neck vs bridge pup makes a very big difference. as i said, the broadcaster might work if you adjust the pup heights. the flat 50 is like 10k i think so as much as i love duncan, that might be a better fit output wise
              I see, thank you for the explanation! I love Duncan too, it's always my first option.

So in this case, would you pick the Bare Knuckle over the Lollar?

Comment

not sure. the lollar, i think, is 8k with #42 wire, the bare knuckle is 10k with #43 and i dont have a ton of experience with either.

Comment

It's always hard to match the output of a HB/P90 to a standard Tele bridge. Even with a hot (10K) bridge pickup, the low end is not there as compared to the P90. I have done the P90 install many times and one solution is to remove one of the P90 magnets. It works fine and that will cut some low end and output---it will match much better.

Comment

if the op loves the p90 tone he has now, i dont know if i would do that but youre right that it would make it easier to match the output without getting an overly hot bridge pup

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      if the op loves the p90 tone he has now, i dont know if i would do that but youre right that it would make it easier to match the output without getting an overly hot bridge pup
                      It still has the P90 character but this way you're not stuck trying to EQ the neck or the bridge pickup. One's too bright, the other is too dark. Something has to give. Alternately, a Franz low wind type works really well with a stock Tele bridge pickup (among others).

Comment

I'd go with a Jerry Donahue. It can still twang, but easily keeps up with a P90.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

have you tried lowering the P90 and raising the bridge SC? that could achieve the desired results

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post
                            have you tried lowering the P90 and raising the bridge SC? that could achieve the desired results
                            I will try this, yes! I will post the results as soon as I can.

Comment

P90's (and humbuckers too) tend to overpower any vintage (and hot vintage) tele pickup. Not only strength wise, but 'width' wise. The tele bridge is punchy, but it has a more narrow focus to the tone being a rod magnet singlecoil. P90's 'see' more of the string, so make for a tone closer to the fatness of a humbucker (but with more rawness due to no cancellation).
                              Tricks like loading the p90 with A3 mags for a bit softer sound, plus the height adjustments as recommended can all help to even out both the tonal and volume/drive imbalances.

Comment

Working...
                              X