2-Way Switch in Tone Knob Hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-Way Switch in Tone Knob Hole?

I'm planning on getting rid of one of the tone knobs on my squier strat, and I was thinking about using the empty hole in the pickguard for a 2-way switch. On one position the wiring would be like a regular 3 pickup strat with a master volume and a master tone, and on the other position the volume and tone pots would be bypassed, going straight from the pickups to the output jack.

Any ideas on what switch would be best for this? I was thinking about using a DPDT, but I'm worried about the hole in the pickguard being too big and the switch moving around. Maybe an amp toggle switch?

Thanks in advance!

My suggestion would be to use a push-pull pot for that and give yourself another function, like maybe a bass rolloff like G&Ls have.
    Nope...

Comment

Any SPDT on-on will work.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        Just putting the switch between the pickup selector and the volume knob, with one side going straight to the output jack's tip and the other going to the volume knob?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          ...but will it fit?

I doubt it. In my case I ended up getting a new scratchplate...but I changed more than just replacing the tone with a switch so it made sense for me.

Comment

When I do this, I use this hose. It's the perfect size. If your Strat used the smaller Asian pots, you'll want to ream the hole out to 3/8". Slide a pencil or dowel into the end of the tube, then (carefully), use a razor or Exacto knife to cut a washer that's just slightly thicker than the pickguard. Paper thin larger. Works great.

The bad news is, you probably can't just buy a few inches. The good news is, even many feet is not much.

Click image for larger version  Name:	guitar_hose.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	6021062

Come to think of it, if your Strat used the smaller Asian pots, you can probably skip this step altogether.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 10-07-2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X