banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which sets of pickups for these solid body guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which sets of pickups for these solid body guitars?

I have 3 sets of pickups for 3 guitars - I'd like some opinions on which would pair up better. The pickups are Gibson Burstbucker Pro, SD Pearly Gates and SD Alnico II Pro (APH-1). Guitar 1 is mahogany back, maple cap neck-through.(maple neck, rosewood FB, 24 3/4 scale. Guitar 2 is mahogany body "wings", maple neck-through, rosewood fretboard, 24 3/4" scale. Guitar 3 is laminated maple/mahogany latered "wings", laminated maple/mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, 25 1/2" scale. I'd like something versatile, but my primary music is clean, contemporary blues, and some 80's/90's alt rock/country. All pickups have 4 leads. I also have some TripleShot rings, and some Freeway 3-way switches. None of the guitars have switch or controls holes drilled, the control cavities are standard SG size and location, and I'm planning for the output jacks to be on the sides, not on the tops. Now that I see it in writing, it appears that the 3 guitars will all have pickups mounted in the maple parts. Ideas?
    Last edited by wolf papa; 10-03-2020, 02:44 PM.

Put a set randomly in each guitar and play them and see how they sound.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I don't know here...the pickups aren't super far away from each other, and have the potential to sound great in whatever you are choosing. I'd put the PGs in the darkest sounding guitar, and the A2Ps in the brightest. But I go for more balance in my sets.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
      X